If you are a US citizen or permanent resident with a bachelor's degree who is not seeking a graduate degree and you want to expand your knowledge in a particular area of study, you can enroll in select graduate-level courses at NYU Steinhardt as a Non-Degree student.
How to Apply
Complete and submit the online Non-Degree application a week before the term starts. To determine when a term starts please review NYU's academic calendar. As part of your online application, you will be required to submit he following components:
- A transcript indicating your bachelor's degree was awarded/conferred.
- If applicable, a signed Department / Program Approval Form.
- If applicable, a copy of your Cooperating Teacher / Educational Affiliate status.
- A brief statement on why you want to take the course(s) in the selected program.
- Non-refundable $75 application fee, payable via credit card or electronic check via NYU’s payment system.
If you recently applied to a degree program and were not offered admission, you cannot enroll as a non-degree student.
Upload an official copy of your university transcript that indicates the conferral of your bachelor's degree (the degree awarded and the date the degree was awarded/conferred must be present on the transcript), even if your undergraduate degree is from NYU. This is the preferred method.
However, If you request a transcript from your undergraduate institution to be mailed or submitted electronically to email@example.com please allow time for our office to receive and process the transcript to your online application. Please note you will not be able to submit the Non-Degree application without this requirement.
Returning Non-Degree Students
If you are a returning Non-Degree student you must re-apply by submitting a new application each semester you wish to register. If you previously submitted a transcript along with a hard copy non-degree application (on paper or via pdf), you will need to submit your transcript again via the online application process. However, you do not need to submit a transcript if you previously submitted a transcript using the online non-degree application system.
How to Search for Courses
Please follow these steps to search for courses offered by NYU Steinhardt. We recommend you do this before you start your non-degree application to determine the program in which your desired course is offered.
- Go to Albert
- Select the Public Search Course button
- Select the appropriate Academic Year
- Filter by: Academic Career: Graduate
- Filter by School: NYU Steinhardt School of Culture, Education and Human Development - Graduate. [our courses will have -GE in the title]
- Then select the program button to see all courses offered for the term.
Policies and Requirements
As a Non-Degree student, you will be limited to a total of 18 credits over the course of your studies and must meet academic standards, which means having at least a 3.00 undergraduate grade point average (GPA) upon application.
The following Steinhardt programs do not allow Non-Degree student enrollment and will not be an available option in the online application:
- Art Therapy
- Communicative Sciences and Disorders
- Instrumental Performance (including music lessons)
- Music Business
- Music Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Piano Performance
- Studio Art
- Vocal Performance
- Online Programs:
- Teacher Residency, Secondary Education
If you are interested in enrolling as a Non-Degree student in a course in one of the following graduate programs, you must meet with a departmental advisor and upload a completed and signed departmental approval form to the online application where prompted. Contact them via the information provided below:
- Applied Psychology: 212-998-5555 (Not accepting Non-Degree students in Summer 2023 or Fall 2023)
- Higher Education: 212-998-5520; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mathematics Education: 212-998-5490; email@example.com
- Media, Culture, and Communication: 212-998-5191; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Music Technology: 212-998-5422, email@example.com
- Nutrition: 212-998-5580, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Occupational Therapy: 212-998-5847, email@example.com