The University is continuing to monitor the impact of COVID-19 on future travel. In the event that travel is not possible, Steinhardt Global Affairs will work with faculty on a case-by-case basis to explore alternatives.
The application for Summer 2022 programs is now open!
Intern opportunities at the National Department of Education, university, or a non-governmental organization for 4 weeks this summer in South Africa. There is an option to extend your stay by an additional week or two. The internship is offered in conjunction with a required class on Education and Social Reform. The internship may be located in areas such as education, university student activities, or youth support and development through empowerment activities, or youth development through microenterprise training.
Cape Town and Pretoria, South Africa
Summer 2022 (exact dates to be announced)
- Priority Deadline: February 9, 2022
- Regular Deadline: March 9, 2022*
*Admission continues thereafter on a space-available basis
- NYU graduate students in areas of studies related to those listed below
- Educational Leadership
- Higher Education
- International Education
Students register for two of the summer course numbers listed below for 6 credits total:
AMLT-GE 2073 Section (TBD) Education and Social Reform in South Africa: provides students with an opportunity to study a topic of interest relevant to social transformation and educational reform In South Africa. The first part covers the practical side of identifying appropriate study topics and sites for their projects. The second part is the actual field-based project when students work with/ meet/ interview those in the setting, culminating in a formal paper on their experiences and what they have learned.
AND one of the following courses:
- INTE-GE 2802 Section (TBD) - Field Study and Seminar in International Education (3 points) Designed for graduate students who wish to serve as interns in international and intercultural settings. Permission to register is based on an evaluation of each student's proposal outlining the nature of the study. Requirements include the maintenance of a log describing activities and a research project based on the work experience.
- HPSE-GE 2121 Section (TBD) - Higher Education Studies, Administrative Work, and Field Experiences (Internship Experience) Individually designed internship program to meet the special needs of graduate students. Experiences may combine supervised work assignments at metropolitan universities, colleges, or community colleges with research studies to be completed in connection with such work responsibilities.
- EDLED-GE 2160 Section (TBD) - Internship: Educational Leadership, Politics, and Advocacy In this culminating experience students engage in fieldwork in a community-based or advocacy organization & participate in a seminar to discuss their field-based experiences. Students develop a professional platform, keep reflective journals, & intern under the mentorship of field-based supervisors and the instructor traveling with them.
- EDLED-GE 2159 Section (TBD) - Internship in Educational Leadership Each student is assigned to a selected superintendent, supervising principal, or official of an educational organization who serves as a supervising administrator. The student’s activities include field experiences in administration & community leadership.
Important Note: All program applicants are encouraged to meet with their academic adviser to determine if and how these courses may be applied towards their program requirements and degree completion.
Dr. Moja, a South African educator, has played a major role in educational reform in South Africa following the transition to democracy. Her background provides students with an unusual entrée to South African culture, the higher education community, educational administrators, and policymakers.
- Steinhardt Graduate Tuition Fee (6 credits) - $11,652
- Graduate Registration and Services Fees - $947
- Housing Fee - $1,150
- Activity Fee - $950
- GeoBlue International Health Insurance - Included
Estimated Direct Cost Total - $14,699
View NYU Steinhardt Graduate Study Tuition and Fees set for the 2021-2022 academic year.
Tuition, Housing, and Activity fees will be due based on Bursar's Payment Schedule for the Summer 2022 term.
PLEASE NOTE: Students are responsible for purchasing transportation and airfare to/from the program location. All students participating in the program are required to live in NYU-provided housing.
Students will be notified when to book flights. We recommend comparing tickets on multiple sites to ensure the best fare. Past participants have used the following flight search engines: Kayak, Google Flights, and Student Universe for student rates.
Students are encouraged to budget for study abroad programs based on individual needs. You may use online budgeting tools such as Numbeo, Expatistan, and Budget Your Trip to budget for your ideal study abroad experience.
Learn about scholarships and funding opportunities.
Students will stay in shared occupancy housing arranged by the Office of Global Affairs.
Your accommodation arrangements are included in your Housing and Activity Fees.
Group accommodation dates correspond to the program dates listed above.
Global Affairs will provide information to participants on pandemic-related travel and entry requirements for their destination. Vaccination is required, and testing may also be necessary for departure to and returning from your program destination.
Flight: Students book their own travel to coincide with program dates. Please keep in mind that flights into Cape Town typically depart New York a day in advance.
Passport: All program participants are required to have a valid passport, which must be valid at least six months beyond the program end date.
Visa: US citizens require a valid passport and do not require a visa for visits to South Africa of less than three months in duration. All other passport holders should check with their respective visa requirements.
Weather: Temperatures in Cape Town and Pretoria in July tend to be cooler than New York, ranging from 40° to the high 60°s (Fahrenheit). Visit BBC Weather to learn more about local weather conditions in South Africa.
Visit the Steinhardt Study Abroad Resources website and get a head start on preparing for your study abroad program experience.
Visit the Office of Global Affairs Short-Term Graduate Courses Policies page.