The University is continuing to monitor the impact of COVID-19 on future travel. In the event that travel is not possible, Steinhardt Global Affairs will work with faculty on a case-by-case basis to explore alternatives. Please watch for further announcements regarding the application process for Summer 2022 global courses.
Intern for six weeks in Accra, Ghana this summer where you will acquire hands-on experience and develop professional skills and networking relationships within the international education field.
There are many organizations in Ghana that are committed to international development and/or education in Accra. Opportunities include formal and informal education, international organizations, local and community-driven development, and a position at NYU Accra. Projects may involve health and education programming for laborers, rural education programming for girls, microenterprise training, child rights awareness, and women’s empowerment initiatives.
Summer 2022 (exact dates to be announced)
Summer 2022 application deadlines will be announced soon.
This internship is primarily designed for students in the International Education graduate program, but is open to non-International Education students contingent on the following:
- You have reviewed the course syllabus (see sample syllabus here) and understand that the course is geared towards MA International Education students, but you are seeking a job in the field as it is broadly defined; and
- You have received approval from your academic advisor before applying
Please note that the Intern Abroad: International Education opportunity is open to current NYU graduate students only.
- International Education
Students register for the summer course listed below:
- INTE-GE.2802.098 (class # TBA) Field Study and Seminar in International Education (0- 4 credits)
- International Education students are encouraged to take this course for 3 or 4 credits. By advisement, International Education students may opt to take the course for 0, 1, or 2 credits.
- All non-International Education students must register for 3 or 4 credits.
All program applicants are encouraged to meet with their academic adviser to determine if and how this course may be applied towards their program requirements and degree completion.
Based on individual academic and professional interests, applicants should identify in their application essay the type of organization for which they would like to intern, from the following list of options:
- Formal & Non-Formal Education
- International Organizations
- Local and Community-Driven Development
- Study Abroad & Cross-Cultural Exchange — intern at NYU Accra (1 internship)
The faculty program leader will be announced soon.
- Steinhardt Graduate Tuition Fee (0-4 credits) - $1,942 per credit
- Graduate Registration and Services Fees - $528 for the first credit, plus $73 per additional credit
- Housing Fee & Activity - To be determined, participants can expect costs to be similar to 2019 costs: $1,850
- GeoBlue International Health Insurance - Included
Estimated Direct Cost: TBD
View NYU Steinhardt Graduate Study Tuition and Fees set for the 2021-2022 academic year.
Tuition, Housing, and Activity fees will be due based on Bursar's Payment Schedule for the Summer 2022 term.
PLEASE NOTE: Students are responsible for purchasing transportation and airfare to/from the program location. All students participating in the program are required to live in NYU-provided housing.
Students will be notified when to book flights. We recommend comparing tickets on multiple sites to ensure the best fare. Past participants have used the following flight search engines: Kayak, Google Flights, and Student Universe for student rates.
Students are encouraged to budget for study abroad programs based on individual needs. You may use online budgeting tools such as Numbeo, Expatistan, and Budget Your Trip to budget for your ideal study abroad experience.
Learn about scholarships and funding opportunities.
Students will stay in shared-occupancy housing at the NYU Accra academic center, arranged by Global Affairs.
Your accommodation arrangements are included in your Housing and Activity Fees.
Group accommodation dates correspond with the program dates listed above.
Flight: Students book their own travel to coincide with program dates. Please keep in mind that flights into Accra typically depart New York a day in advance.
Passport: All participants are required to have a valid passport, which must be valid at least six months beyond the intern abroad program's end date.
A visa is required for all US citizens, which requires a copy of a valid yellow fever vaccination card. Learn more through the Ghana Consulate in New York. Further details and instructions for obtaining a visa to Ghana will be provided during the program orientation.
Weather: In Accra, temperatures in June and July tend to be similar to those in New York, and are usually in the 80°s, Fahrenheit. See the current weather forecast for Accra.
Visit the Steinhardt Study Abroad Resources website and get a head start on preparing for your study abroad program experience.
Visit the Office of Global Affairs Short-Term Graduate Courses Policies page.