The NYU Summer Strings Audition Workshop is open to today’s most talented and promising young musicians, offering intensive training for entrance auditions, orchestral auditions and competitions. Chamber music is central to the workshop, and students receive regular coachings in addition to private lessons. The intensity of the schedule and exacting performance standards make SummerStrings most appropriate for serious, dedicated musicians ages 15-25. Other ages will be considered on a case by case basis.
The audition workshop will give you the skills you need to forge ahead with confidence! Under the guidance of NYU string faculty members, many of whom have won major competitions and orchestral auditions, you will spend your days putting together the elements needed for a successful audition. Performance psychologist Noa Kageyama, also known as the “Bulletproof Musician,” will direct workshops on centering, mental practice and discovering your ideal formula for audition preparation. Faculty will assist you in preparing solo Bach, concerti, orchestral excerpts, showpieces and etudes.
SummerStrings is pleased to offer Alexander Technique sessions to correct posture and teach bodily self-awareness. Participants who struggle with persistent bad habits have the opportunity to learn a ground-breaking method of overcoming them in as little as an hour. A select few participants will also have the opportunity to make a fully edited recording in NYU’s’s state-of-the-art James L. Dolan Studio.
Upon completion of the course, you will have a clearer understanding of the audition process that will enable you to achieve your goals!
Both programs include:
- Two private lessons and two chamber coachings per week
- Two hours of daily chamber music rehearsal
- Daily master classes and seminars on a series of topics ranging from building confidence through audition strategies to developing one’s musical voice through improvisation and freedom of expression
- At least three hours of daily practice time
- Performance opportunities at bi-weekly student performances and chamber music recitals
- Evening and weekend activities that often include NY Philharmonic concerts, Broadway plays, Yankees and Mets games, sightseeing in New York City and visits to museums
The College Audition Workshop is open to high school sophomores and juniors. The Graduate School/Competition Audition Workshop is open to current college students.