How do students apply to transfer into this program?
Your transfer process depends on where you are currently attending school.
- Transfers to NYU from another academic institution: Please use this application.
- Transfers to NYU Steinhardt from another NYU school: Please have completed MPAMB-UE 100 Business Structure of the Music Industry, complete the supplemental application package (mentioned below), and please use the NYU transfer application. You must also follow the University transfer guidelines.
- Transfers to Music Business from another NYU Steinhardt department: Please have completed MPAMB-UE 100 Business Structure of the Music Industry, complete the supplemental application package (mentioned below), and submit the Change of Major Application for the Undergraduate Music Business Program by March 1 (for Fall matriculation).
- Transfers to Music Business from another Music and Performing Arts Professions (MPAP) program: Please have completed MPAMB-UE 100 Business Structure of the Music Industry, and submit the Change of Major Application for the Undergraduate Music Business Program by November 1 (for Spring matriculation) or by March 1 (for Fall matriculation).
When do transfer students apply to this program?
Students must complete one full year in the program to which they were originally admitted before they are eligible to transfer (unless you are already in MPAP). Many students apply in the Spring of their freshman or sophomore year for entrance in the Fall, however, we welcome applications from students at any point in their academic career after their initial year of study.
What are the minimum GPA requirements for entrance into this program as a transfer student?
We recommend that students have a 2.7 GPA or better prior to declaring a major in Music Business in order to make satisfactory academic progress within the major.
How many credits can I transfer into the program?
The maximum number of credits you can transfer in is 72. However, if you want to be eligible for Latin Honors at NYU (cum laude, magna cum laude, summa cum laude), the maximum number of credits you can transfer in from another college or university is 64.
Will all my credits transfer?
Not necessarily. Once you are accepted, your undergraduate college transcript(s) will be evaluated. Only courses with a grade of C or better will be considered. External Transfers will receive a statement of transfer credit with your admissions packet, which will specify the courses being accepted for transfer credit. Specific questions should be discussed with your academic adviser.
If I transfer from a community college, am I eligible for a Community College Transfer Opportunity Program (CCTOP) scholarship?
Quite possibly. Please visit the CCTOP website for more information.
Supplemental Application Requirements
The Music Business supplemental application package consists of three components: a cover letter, résumé, and short video; your cover letter and résumé should be in PDF format.
If you are an External Transfer or transferring from another school within NYU, please upload the above to GetAcceptd. If you are transferring within Steinhardt, including Music and Performing Arts Professions (MPAP), you will submit the following in the Change of Major Application for the Undergraduate Music Business Program.
If you are an external transfer, please make sure you submit New York University’s Application for Undergraduate Admissions in addition to this supplemental application to GetAcceptd.
The requirements are:
- Write a one-page cover letter, addressed to the Music Business Program Admissions Committee, that includes:
- Your name and the name of the college or university you are attending
- Your academic major
- The number of university semesters you have completed
- The reason you want to leave your current institution and enroll in the NYU Music Business program
- Create a one-page résumé that shows your school, any work/internship/volunteer positions you’ve had, and any musical/extracurricular activities you are involved in.
- Record ONE short video with the components noted below. The video helps the Music Business faculty assess your ability to carry a tune and stay on pitch; the faculty do not use it to evaluate your vocal quality, and you do not have to worry about any special lighting or production qualities. It is not necessary to be a performer to be admitted to the Music Business program. Please note: GetAcceptd only allows for a limited amount of content to be uploaded to it. Because of this, please make sure all components of are submitted in one singular video. Components for video:
- Sing a cappella (without accompaniment of any kind) a one-octave major scale, ascending and descending, in any key.
- Sing a cappella (without accompaniment of any kind) one verse and one chorus of Judy Garland’s "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"
- Sing a cappella (without accompaniment of any kind) a verse and a chorus of any existing song you’d like. The song must have a melody that you can sing, must already be recorded by another artist, and may not be spoken word.
- Optional Video: As we know our applicants may be musically talented in other areas, we offer the chance for our students to further highlight their musical abilities by submitting one additional optional video to GetAcceptd. Please note this is an optional aspect of the application and is not a requirement to be considered for the program.