Xavier Ochoa is Assistant Professor of Learning Analytics in the Department of Administration, Leadership, and Technology of the Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development. He is also core-faculty of the Learning Analytics Research Network (NYU - LEARN). Xavier holds a Ph.D. in Engineering (Computer Sciences) from the University of Leuven - Belgium (2008), an M.Sc. in Applied Computer Sciences from the Vrije Universiteit Brussels - Belgium (2002), and a B.S. in Computer Science from Escuela Superior Politécnica del Litoral (ESPOL) - Ecuador (2000).
Since the start of his research career, Xavier has been working at the convergence point of Education and Technology. His research work focuses on how to use cutting-edge technology to augment human capabilities in education to innovate pedagogical practices that, in turn, lead to better learning processes. He started his career working on quantitative analysis and modeling of the production, finding, consumption, and reuse of digital learning materials. This work conducted his research into the nascent field of Learning Analytics where he was invited as a keynote of the first Learning Analytics and Knowledge conference (LAK). Currently, Xavier works on Multimodal Learning Analytics, a sub-field that involve the use of advanced quantitative techniques from the field of learning analytics, together with recent advances in machine learning, computer vision, speech and natural language processing, and smart sensors to build and study the educational effect of tools that augment the awareness, self-reflection, sense- and decision-making of students and instructors in both physical and online learning environments. He is the lead investigator of the Augment-Ed research group.
Xavier Ochoa has served as Vice-president of the Society for Learning Analytics Research (SoLAR) and is currently the co-Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Learning Analytics. He is also a founding member and long-time coordinator of the Latin American Community on Learning Technologies (LACLO). He has also received the Best Researcher Award (2018 and 2012) and Best Professor Award (2013) at ESPOL and the 5-year best Researcher in Computer Science by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) in Ecuador (2014). He has also received several Best Paper Awards at international conferences, including LAK.
Xavier Ochoa previously was Principal Professor at ESPOL (2002 - 2018) in Ecuador where he directed the Information Technology Center (CTI) and the Teaching and Learning Technology (TEA) research group.
- Ochoa, X. & Dominguez, F. Controlled evaluation of a multimodal system to improve oral presentation skills in a real learning setting. British Journal of Educational Technology, Wiley Online Library, 2020, 51, 1615-1630
- Ochoa, X.; Dominguez, F.; Guamán, B.; Maya, R.; Falcones, G. & Castells, J. The RAP System: Automatic Feedback of Oral Presentation Skills Using Multimodal Analysis and Low-cost Sensors. Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Learning Analytics and Knowledge, ACM, 2018, 360-364
- Ochoa, X. Multimodal Learning Analytics. Lang, C.; Siemens, G.; Wise, A. & Gašević, D. (Eds.) Handbook of Learning Analytics. Society for Learning Analytics Research (SoLAR), 2017, 129-141
- Ochoa, X.; Chiluiza, K.; Méndez, G.; Luzardo, G.; Guamán, B. & Castells, J. Expertise estimation based on simple multimodal features. Proceedings of the 15th ACM on International conference on multimodal interaction, 2013, 583-590
- Ochoa, X. Metadata Quality. Sicilia, M.-A. (Ed.) Handbook of Metadata, Semantics And Ontologies. World Scientific, 2013, 63-88
- Ochoa, X. & Duval, E. Quantitative Analysis of Learning Object Repositories. IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies, 2009, 2, 226-238