Associate Professor of Media, Culture, and Communication (On Leave 2019-2020)
Media, Culture, and Communication
Associate Professor Department of Middle East and Islamic Studies
Helga works on issues to do with technology, media, culture, territory and politics with a particular focus on the Middle East, and especially Palestine-Israel. She has researched and written on Arab media; Palestinian cinema, television, video games and popular culture; on telecommunications and internet infrastructure and development in the Palestinian Territories; as well as on cultural/territorial politics in Palestine-Israel including analyzing checkpoints as cultural and economic spaces, identification cards as material artifacts and territorially-bordering mechanisms.
Helga has published a wide range of peer-reviewed articles and invited chapters. She is co-editor of the 2016 book Gaza as Metaphor. She serves on a number of journal editorial boards and non-profit foundations. She served as the Director of the Hagop Kevorkian Center for Near Eastern Studies at NYU between 2014 and 2018.
Helga teaches courses at undergraduate and graduate levels on topics including borders and spatiality, Arab media, critical theory and media studies, Israel/Palestine, war and media, globalization and international development, and what has been referred to as "the coffee class" (cultural geography of commodities), which is not always about coffee.
Before academia, Helga worked as a researcher and strategic analyst at a multinational media conglomerate and as an internet consultant. She has lived in various parts of North America, Europe, and the Middle East, which has resulted in border-crossings of various kinds, an obsession with im/mobility, and the ability to fluently communicate in six and a half languages. Helga also spends time behind a camera, as a photographer and documentary film-maker.
- Tawil-Souri, H. (2019). The Internet Pigeon Network. in Open Gaza, ed. Terreform (forthcoming)
- Tawil-Souri, H. (2018). Checkpoint Time. Qui Parle.
- Tawil-Souri, H. (2017). Spectrum. Cultural Anthropology
- Tawil-Souri, H. (2017). Putting Palestinians on a Diet. Social Text, Periscope
- Tawil-Souri, H. (2017). Surveillance Sublime. Jerusalem Quarterly 68
- Tawil-Souri, H. (2016). Between Digital Flows and Territorial Borders: ICTs in the Palestine-Israel-EU Matrix; in Raffaella Del Sarto, ed. Fragmented Borders, Interdependence and External Relations: The Israel-Palestine-European Union Triangle, Palgrave.