Elizabeth M. Norman PhD, RN is a Professor at New York University's Steinhardt School of Culture, Development and Education. She is the author of three books: Women at War: the Story of Fifty Military Nurses Who Served in Vietnam (1990) (University of Pennsylvania Press), We Band of Angels: The Untold Story of American Nurses Trapped on Bataan by the Japanese (2013) (Random House), and co-author with Michael Norman of Tears in the Darkness: The Story of the Bataan Death March and Its Aftermath (2009) Her awards include an official commendation from the U.S. Department of the Army, and New York Times book critic Dwight Garner’s top ten non-fiction books of 2009. She is currently working on a non-fiction book with Michael Norman, Mere Mortals: The World of Bellevue Hospital. And, she is collaborating on a longitudinal qualitative study involving 40 RNS who cared for COVID19 patients at a New Jersey Medical Center during the height of the pandemic in the state.
- Norman E. (2016) Clarissa Threat. Nursing Civil Rights: Gender and Race in the Army Nurse Corps. Chicago: University of Illinois Press. American History Review, 121(2),p.597. (Book review).
- McCormack R, Hoffman L, Goldfrank L, Norman M, Norman E. (2015) "Voices of Homeless Alcoholics Who Frequent Bellevue Hospital: A Qualitative Study" Annals of Emergency Medicine. 65(2) 178-186.
- Norman, E. (2014) "Remembering the Fall of Bataan." American Journal of Nursing 114(4) 50-53
- Norman E. (2013). We Band of Angels: The Untold Story of American Women Trapped on Bataan. 2nd edition. New York: Random House. 2014 Audible.com edition released. In print, 2016.
- Norman E. (2012). Beyond Combat:Women and Gender Roles in the Vietnam War Era. H-Net: Humanities and Social Sciences OnLine. (Book review).
- Norman M., Norman E. (2011). Bataan Shinokoushin. Tokyo, Japan : Kawade Shobo. Translation.
- Norman M., Norman E. (2011). Tears in the Darkness. Beijing, China: Fonghong Media, in cooperation with Jiangsu People's Publishing House. Translation
- Norman M., Norman E. (2011). Slzn v temnote. Czech: Jota Publishers. Translation.
- Norman M., & Norman E. (2010) Tears in the Darkness: The Story of the Bataan Death March and Its Aftermath. New York: Picador Books .
- Norman E. (2001). "The Nurses Captured on Bataan." In Brian Lamb (Ed.). Booknotes, Stories from American History: Leading Historians on the Events that Shaped Our Country New York: Public Affairs, 251-258. In print, 2009
- Norman, M., Norman E., Tears In The Darkness: The Bataan Death March and Its Aftermath.New York: Farrar, Strauss & Giroux. June 2009.In print, 2016.
- Norman, E., & Angell, D. (1999). Vivian Bullwinkel: Sole Survivor of the 1942 Massacre of Australian Nurses. NHR 7, 97-112.
- Norman, E. (1990). Women at War: The Story of Fifty Military Nurses Who Served in Vietnam. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press. In print, 2016.