BM in Music/MA in Music Education Dual Degree

BM in Music/MA in Music Education Dual Degree

Complete a Bachelor's and a Master's Degree in Only Five Years

This accelerated dual-degree program allows you to earn a BM in Instrumental Performance (with a focus on Brass Studies, Jazz Studies, Percussion Studies, String Studies, or Woodwind Studies); Music Composition; Piano Studies; or Vocal Performance and an MA in Music Education in only five years. In order to apply to this program, you must already be an undergraduate music major.

You will complete coursework toward your master's degree during your junior and senior year as an undergraduate, reducing the number of credits needed to complete the MA and saving both time and money. Graduates of this dual-degree program are eligible for New York State initial teaching certification as a teacher of music in all grades (K-12). 

In order to apply for this dual degree, you must already be enrolled in an NYU Steinhardt undergraduate program in music composition or performance. 

What You'll Learn
  • Music history, theory, and research
  • Keyboard harmony and improvisation
  • Foundations in music education
  • Technology resources for music educators
  • How to develop a curriculum and build a repertoire suitable for your teaching practice
  • Pedagogical techniques and methods for elementary and secondary school classrooms

See the curricula and requirements for this accelerated dual degree:

How You'll Learn

A Full Liberal Arts Education with Specialized Music Training
You will complete a range of liberal arts core courses, including introductory study of the humanities, social sciences, and scientific inquiry; and complete core music classes, including four semesters each in music history, music theory, aural comprehension, and keyboard harmony and improvisation. You will also take music specialization courses, working closely with our artist-faculty. 

Music Pedagogy and Content 
The curriculum for the graduate degree combines intensive study in music education, pedagogy, and content with performance opportunities and electives in research and praxis. You will acquire musical knowledge and skills in the content of good pedagogical practice. 

Student Teaching in New York Schools and Community Settings
You'll gain valuable experience through completing two semesters of student teaching at New York City public and independent schools, and in community music settings, under the close supervision of experienced music teachers and teaching artists.

Degree Details
How to Apply

Step 1: Are You Eligible to Apply? 
In order to apply to this dual BM/MA, you must already be enrolled in an NYU Steinhardt undergraduate program in music composition or performance.

You must submit your application to the dual degree during your sophomore year as an undergraduate. If accepted, you will begin the dual degree in your junior year. Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 in order to be considered for this program.

Step 2: Make a Pre-Application Appointment
Before applying for the dual degree program, make an appointment with Elise Sobol to review the five-year program of study and to discuss your interests and professional goals in music and music education. Completing a BM and an MA in five years requires both commitment and careful planning. This conversation will help you make an informed decision about preparing to become a music teacher and whether you should apply for the accelerated program. Please bring a copy of your current NYU transcript (unofficial) to this meeting.

Step 3: Submit Your Application
The application to the dual degree requires:

  • An essay that explains your interest in the BM/MA dual degree program (500-1000 words)
  • A copy of your current CV
  • A paper/essay from a previous class

When you have prepared the above materials, submit them via the online application.

Step 4. Submit a Change of Major Form
Once you are accepted, you will submit a change of major form. This form will allow you to transfer to the dual-degree program.

Step 5. Submit a Dual-Degree Declaration Form
By March 1 of your senior year, you and your adviser must submit a dual-degree declaration form to the Office of Graduate Admissions. This will prompt Graduate Admissions to create your graduate student record for the upcoming year.

Important Information about Graduate Financial Aid

Please note that financial aid at the graduate level is different than at the undergraduate level and you will not receive the same aid. In fact, some types of aid available to undergraduate students are not available once you become a graduate student.

To be considered for any type of financial aid (including scholarships), you must submit FAFSA renewal between January 1 and February 1 of your senior year. When submiting the form, be sure to indicate your new status as a graduate student.

Contact Us

Elise Sobol