As an institution of scholars, researchers, teachers, and students, the mission of New York University, a private university in the public service, is to advance and transmit knowledge and to translate research into service. The University is committed to a mission of equal treatment and opportunity in every aspect of its relations with faculty, students, staff, and members of the community.
The mission of the Physical Therapy Program of New York University is:
- To educate professional doctoral physical therapists who are knowledgeable, self-assured, adaptable, reflective, humanistic, and service-oriented and who, by virtue of critical thinking, life-long learning, and ethical values, render independent judgments concerning patient/client needs.
- To educate post-professional physical therapists as advanced clinicians, researchers, and educators who are capable of discovering and applying new knowledge about physical therapy and relating physical therapy theory to practice. The mission of the Department is also to draw upon the resources of the largest private University in the United States with its rich academic environment, diverse cultural community, and connection to health facilities representing all aspects of physical therapy service delivery.
As a department, we aim to:
- Provide innovative physical therapy education at professional and post-professional levels to assure currency with the changing environments in health care and education
- Promote high quality, ethical, effective, and cost-efficient practices by professional and post-professional physical therapist graduates
- Stimulate research by professional and post-professional physical therapist graduates to further the science of physical therapy, to influence current and emerging health care practices and policies, and to advance the profession
- Foster leadership qualities for physical therapy practice, education, and research in professional and post-professional physical therapist graduates
- Promote awareness and understanding of the needs of diverse populations in professional and post-professional physical therapist graduates
- Provide a dynamic, efficient, adaptable program
The vision of the Physical Therapy Program is to:
- Maintain the department's long tradition of leadership and excellence in physical therapy education
- Create innovative educational programs
- Promote the provision of ethical, efficient, and cost-effective physical therapy services
- Serve the physical therapy needs of the national and international communities