Designed for those pursuing professional certification who want to complete all their credit requirements at once, our dual master's and advanced certificate program will provide you with the in-depth course work and clinical experiences you need for a career as a K–12 school counselor.Request Info
Official Degree Title
Our dual degree provides a solid foundation in school counseling theory and practice, plus advanced course work that helps you develop a more sophisticated understanding of the role of the school counselor in the areas of consultation, social justice, career and college readiness, and prevention.
Graduates of this degree are eligible for New York State certification as guidance counselors. This degree also satisfies credit requirements for professional certification.
Our faculty members are leaders in the field. You will work closely with them to learn how to:
- Form helping relationships with K–12 children and youth, teachers, and parents, adapting your work to your students’ growth and development
- Assess students in socio-historical contexts with attention to issues of power and privilege – including gender, race and ethnicity, class, and sexual orientation
- Create and deliver a data-driven school counseling program that supports every student’s academic, career, and personal and social development
- Implement and evaluate effective school counseling programs for prevention and intervention
- Create and assess college and career readiness programs for secondary students
- Identify and apply techniques and strategies for effective consultation within the lens of contextual variables (e.g., culture, systems of power, etc.) that can influence the implementation, process, and outcomes of consultation
- Understand the process of advocacy in light of the barriers and challenges that school counselors face in terms of social justice to address inequities in our society
If you choose the bilingual concentration, you will also be prepared to identify issues relevant to student populations for whom English is a second language, and apply appropriate resolutions.
This program is accredited by the Master’s in Psychology and Counseling Accreditation Council (MPCAC) for 2015 through 2025. Graduates of this program meet the academic requirements for licensure in the state of New York. Each state sets their own policies, regulations, and standards for licensure. If you intend to pursue licensure in a state other than New York, you should consult our Licensure page for more information on whether our program meets the academic requirements for licensure in that state and whether there is additional course work you may need to complete to meet that state’s requirements.
This dual master's and advanced certificate program combines core courses and electives with counseling labs and fieldwork. You’ll study the foundations of school counseling, counseling theory and process, group dynamics, cross-cultural counseling, and program development and evaluation, and apply hands-on learning through internship placements in New York City schools.
Elective courses focus on applied content areas such as bereavement counseling, social justice practices, substance abuse disorders, and marriage and family counseling.
Prepare for a career as a:
- School counselor in elementary, middle, and high schools
- Child advocate in community-based organizations
Graduates of the School Counseling degree have been successful in obtaining positions as school guidance counselors through the New York City Department of Education and within school systems on Long Island and throughout the tri-state area. In addition, many have obtained positions in agencies that provide services to school-age children. Program requirements meet most state standards.
We hold ourselves and our students to the high ethical standards of the industry. Students who matriculate into this program agree to follow the American Counseling Association Code of Ethics while in training. Please also review our program policy on student self-disclosure.
Take the Next Step
Advance your personal and professional journey – apply to join our community of students.Apply Now