Skip to main content

Search NYU Steinhardt


How To Apply

BM, Music/MA, Music Education, All Grades: Initial Certification

Step 1: Are You Eligible to Apply? 

In order to apply to this dual BM/MA, you must already be enrolled in an NYU Steinhardt undergraduate program in music composition or performance.

You must submit your application to the dual degree during your sophomore year as an undergraduate. If accepted, you will begin the dual degree in your junior year. Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 in order to be considered for this program.

Step 2: Make a Pre-Application Appointment

Before applying for the dual degree program, make an appointment with Dr. Elise Sobol to review the five-year program of study and to discuss your interests and professional goals in music and music education. Completing a BM and an MA in five years requires both commitment and careful planning. This conversation will help you make an informed decision about preparing to become a music teacher and whether you should apply for the accelerated program. Please bring a copy of your current NYU transcript (unofficial) to this meeting.

Step 3: Submit Your Application

The application to the dual degree requires:

  • An essay that explains your interest in the BM/MA dual degree program (500-1000 words)
  • A copy of your current CV
  • A paper/essay from a previous class

When you have prepared the above materials, submit them via the online application.

Step 4. Submit a Change of Major Form

Once you are accepted, you will submit a change of major form. This form will allow you to transfer to the dual-degree program.

Step 5. Submit a Dual-Degree Declaration Form

By March 1 of your senior year, you and your adviser must submit a dual-degree declaration form to the Office of Graduate Admissions. This will prompt Graduate Admissions to create your graduate student record for the upcoming year.

Important Information about Graduate Financial Aid

Please note that financial aid at the graduate level is different than at the undergraduate level and you will not receive the same aid. In fact, some types of aid available to undergraduate students are not available once you become a graduate student.

To be considered for any type of financial aid (including scholarships), you must submit FAFSA renewal between November 1 and March 1 of your senior year. When submitting the form, be sure to indicate your new status as a graduate student.

Contact Us

Dr. Elise Sobol