Miriam Eisenstein Ebsworth, PhD, is director of Doctoral and Post-MA Programs in Multilingual, Multicultural Studies: TESOL and Bilingual Education. She is also academic director of ISEP, an English conversation and culture program for spouses and families of international students at NYU. An English-dominant speaker from a Yiddish-speaking home in Brooklyn, NY, her language background also includes Spanish, French, and Hebrew. She has worked with second-language learners from K-adult in the Metropolitan area, has mentored second-language teachers and researchers, and has held various leadership positions on local and national levels. She is currently research editor of the journal Writing and Pedagogy, and Chair of The National Association for Bilingual Education Research SIG Advisory Board. Miriam is also the Hebrew language delegate for the New York State Association for Bilingual Education. Many of her research interests center on cross-cultural communication, with language as a mediator of individual and group perceptions and values. She is also interested in supporting L2 acquisition through the affordances of technology and has contributed to the development of Actionthroughwords, an online English course about the United Nations. She was chosen as 2018-2019 Bilingual Teacher of the Year by the New York State Association for Bilingual Education.
- Eisenstein Ebsworth, M. & Ebsworth T. (Forthcoming). Challenging perceptions of self and others: Creating a safe space for honesty, exploration and growth. In T. Austin & M. Eisenstein Ebsworth (Eds.),Exploring the Influence of Racism in Education- Building Antiracist Allies.
- Eisenstein Ebsworth, M., Wildstein, T., & Goldberg, S. (Forthcoming). Development of Hebrew/English biliteracy in a Jewish Day School: Issues of language and identity. In R. Pandaharipande, M. David, M. & M. Eisenstein Ebsworth, (Eds.), Sociology of Language and Religion. Bristol: Multilingual Matters.
- Eisenstein Ebsworth, M. E., Chai, C. and McCoy, L. (2019). Adolescent ELLs improve their academic English while learning about the UN online. Languages, 4(9), 1-18.doi:10.3390/languages4010009
- Stevens, L. & Eisenstein Ebsworth, M. (2018). A synergistic approach to the formative assessment of bilingual writing: heightening student and teacher awareness. Writing and Pedagogy, 10(1-2), 241-274.
- Eisenstein Ebsworth, M., Ebsworth, T., & Cai, C. (2018). English acquisition in Puerto Rico: Teachers’ insights. Bilingual Research Journal. DOI: 10.1080/15235882.2017.1413441
- Cai, C. & Eisenstein Ebsworth, M. (2017). Chinese language varieties: pre- and in-service teachers’ voices. Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development. DOI: 10.1080/01434632.2017.1397160