Kristie Patten Koenig, PhD, OT/L, FAOTA, Associate Professor, New York University, Department of Occupational Therapy. Dr. Patten Koenig is an occupational therapist, with a PhD in Educational Psychology who examines the efficacy of interventions utilized in public schools for children and adolescents with autism spectrum disorders. Her research focuses on utilizing a strength-based paradigm and the individual with ASD's perspective to understand the impact of these issues on quality of life and adaptive behavior in order to guide person-centered interventions utilizing strengths in inclusive settings. Dr. Koenig is the Principal Investigator of the NYU Steinhardt's ASD Nest Program, an inclusive program for children and adolescents with autism in the New York City Department of Education. She is currently Co-PI of an NSF grant entitled "IDEAS: Inventing, Designing and Engineering on the Autism Spectrum" that leverages STEM interests of middle school students with autism to develop social competence and potential career pathways. She is also PI of the GIFTED project, a 3-year grant project aimed at developing women leaders in public schools in Ghana. Dr. Patten Koenig teaches professional and post-professional courses in the area of pediatric intervention, school-based practice and the challenges and opportunities with autism spectrum disorders. Dr. Patten Koenig has published and presented nationally and internationally on topics related to examining the efficacy of public school interventions and examining autism from a strength-based or abilities-based model.
- Patten Koenig, K. & Hough Williams, L. (2017): Characterization and Utilization of Preferred Interests: A Survey of Adults on the Autism Spectrum, Occupational Therapy in Mental Health, DOI: 10.1080/0164212X.2016.1248877
- Tomchek, S., Koenig, K. P., Arbesman, M., & Lieberman, D. (2017). Evidence Connection—Occupational therapy interventions for adolescents with autism spectrum disorder. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 71, 7101395010. https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.2017.711003
- Tomchek, S., & Patten Koenig, K. (2016). Occupational Therapy Practice Guidelines for Children and Adolescents with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Bethesda, MD: American Occupational Therapy Association.
- Koenig, K.P., Feldman, J. Siegel, D, Bleiweiss, J., & Cohen, S. (2014). Issues in implementing a comprehensive intervention for public school children with Autism Spectrum Disorders Journal of Prevention and Intervention in the Community, 42(1).
- Hough, L, & Patten Koenig, K. (2014). Inclusion and innovation: Supporting employees on the autism spectrum. Mental Health Works Quarterly. Partnership for Workplace Mental Health, American Psychiatric Association, Inc.
- Hough, L. and Patten Koenig, K. (2014). Autism in the workplace: How occupational therapy practitioners can support the neurodiverse workforce. OT Practice 19(2), 14–16.
- Patten Koenig, K. (2014). The context of evaluation. In Hinojosa, J., Kramer, P, & Christ, P. (eds) Evaluation: Obtaining and Interpreting Data, 4th edition.