Not Accepting Applications
To best meet the needs of our students, we have decided to suspend enrollment in the Master of Music in Vocal Performance: Contemporary Vocal. We encourage you to explore Vocal Performance: Music Theatre (MM) or Vocal Performance: Classical Voice (MM).
This specialization prepares you for a career in the contemporary commercial music scene as a lead or background vocalist and recording artist. In a course of study that fully integrates training in voice, acting, and stage performance, movement/dance for the stage, music business, and entrepreneurship, you will build your skills through intensive workshop classes, related academic course work, and private lessons with our renowned faculty and industry professionals.
Official Degree Title
- Craft a technical foundation in vocal production while training as a hybrid vocalist, along with a demonstrable understanding that the best singing is an amalgamation of a freely produced sound and a personal need to communicate.
- Learn how to communicate through song effectively, working on song analysis and developing an awareness for how the prosody of the language plays a role in popular songwriting and performance.
- Build your knowledge of American Music history chronologically (from Roots and Bluegrass music through contemporary styles such as R&B and Rap)
- Be introduced and immersed in classes focusing on recording techniques, microphone techniques, speech/English diction, song analysis, performance, movement, dance, audition and business skills, and stagecraft.
- Participate in contemporary ensembles and audition for extra curricular opportunities (concerts and shows.)
Our program of study will provide you with a solid foundation of healthy vocal technique on which you can build a career in whatever area of voice performance you choose to pursue.
Our curriculum fully integrates the study of voice with live performance. You will take movement, acting and dance classes taught by working professionals in the industry and voice training with leading vocalists from New York's professional community. You'll also have the opportunities to crosstrain in musical theatre or classical voice training and participate in a variety of workshops as well as audition for fully staged productions and concerts.
You will perform a fully staged graduate concert as your terminal degree experience.
If you have any additional questions about our degree, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com.
Spend Your Summer with NYU Steinhardt
Strengthen your vocal technique and get to know NYU Steinhardt in our two-week contemporary vocal workshop.