Skip to main content

Search NYU Steinhardt


Academic Standards


Academic Progress

Undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in the Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development are expected to maintain satisfactory academic progress according to the following academic standards unless otherwise stipulated by departmental/program standards.

Undergraduates: 2.0 
Masters: 2.5
Certificate: 3.0
Doctoral: 3.0

Academic progress is reviewed only after an undergraduate student has enrolled in at least 12 units (cumulative - not per term) and a graduate student has enrolled in at least 6 units (cumulative - not per term).

Students whose cumulative attempted versus cumulative earned units percentage is below 75 are not making satisfactory progress (exclusive of courses in which incomplete grades are normally given, e.g. Dissertation Proposal Seminar).

Students who have two consecutive probationary terms or three non-consecutive probationary terms will be subject to dismissal.

Students whose matriculation has been terminated because of academic insufficiency may apply for re-admission after one year’s lapse of time.


The Steinhardt Faculty Committee on Student Progress (COSP) is comprised of the Director of Advising and Student Success, the Senior Director of Registration Services, and faculty representatives from across the school. The Associate Dean has oversight for Committee process and proceedings.

The COSP meets at the end of the academic terms to review and take action on the academic records of both undergraduate and graduate students enrolled at NYU Steinhardt.

Students whose academic records are scheduled for review are notified by email, asked to share with the Steinhardt Committee on Student Progress (COSP) any relevant information regarding their records and referred to their academic advisors for further discussion on their academic progress.

The COSP invites academic advisors whose students are being reviewed to submit recommendations for action.

The COSP takes action on the total record of the student in accordance with policies approved by the faculty, information submitted by the student, and advisor recommendations. Actions taken include no action, warning, probation, and dismissal.

Students are notified by email of the action taken by the Committee, and a registration hold is placed on students who have been put on probation or dismissed. 

When a student believes the action taken by the Committee on Student Progress has been arbitrary and unfair, he/she may appeal through the Faculty Sub-Committee on Student Appeals, c/o Office of the Associate Dean for Student Affairs. That Committee is comprised of faculty and the recommending faculty/advisor. The Senior Director of Registration Services and the Director of Advising and Student Success serve ex officio.

Undergraduate students who wish to be considered for financial aid must be in good academic standing and making satisfactory progress toward degree completion. Satisfactory progress requires that students earn a passing grade in 76% of the courses in which they are enrolled each academic year.

Academic Department Committees on Student Progress: The Departments of Communicative Sciences and Disorders, Occupational Therapy and Physical Therapy have appointed student progress committees that regularly review and take action on the academic records of students whose grade point averages/academic progress have fallen below the academic standards set forth by their respective departments/programs.

Department Committees inform the student and the Steinhardt Faculty Committee on Student Progress (COSP) of actions taken.

For appeals, the Department Review Committees include in their letter the internal appeals process. Levels for appeal include the department chair as the final department level, then the Associate Dean for Student Affairs, and finally, the Vice Dean for Academic Affairs.

In all instances, appeals are procedural and based on

  • Violation of department policy
  • Additional and relevant information not previously considered.

Departmental Committees provide the Office of Student Affairs with a list of students at risk at midterm and may recommend that a Dean's Hold on registration be placed to anticipate the next advisement/registration cycle.

Class Standing

A student’s class standing is determined by the cumulative number of credits they have earned:

Class Standards

Class Standing

Cumulative Credits Earned

FR = Freshman

0 – 31

SO = Sophomore

32 – 63

JR = Junior

64 – 95

SR = Senior

96 and above

Dean’s List and Grade Point Average (GPA)

The GPA determines the student’s academic standing within the school and whether or not the student is making academic progress. The GPA also determines, in part, eligibility for the Dean’s Honor List and Latin Honors. The GPA is based on a 4-point scale as follows:

  • A: 4.0
  • A-: 3.7
  • B+: 3.3
  • B: 3.0
  • B-: 2.7
  • C+: 2.3
  • C: 2.0
  • C-: 1.7
  • D+: 1.3
  • D: 1.0
  • F: 0.0
  • There are no A+, D-, or F+ grades.
  • F grades may not be changed.

Computing the Grade Point Average

Add the total number of units completed for each grade. Multiply each of these totals by the appropriate point value (quality points) of the grade. Divide the total number of point value (quality points) by the total number of units.


GPA Computation



Quality Points

Total Quality Points













Divide the total quality points by the number of credits: 40.0 by 12 = 3.3 = GPA

Please see the section on Repeating Courses (below) and how they affect the GPA

Grading Policies

The standard grade symbols and their values are as follows:

A – D: Passing Grades

These letter grades are the standard passing grades for NYU Steinhardt. With proper notification to students, academic departments may adjust what is considered a passing grade.

  • A: Excellent
  • A-: Excellent
  • B+: Good
  • B: Good
  • B-: Good
  • C+: Satisfactory
  • C: Satisfactory
  • C-: Satisfactory
  • D+
  • D: Minimum Passing Grade
  • F: Failure
  • I:  Incomplete
  • N:  No credit (not used after Summer 2015)
  • NR: No grade reported.
  • P: Pass - Not counted in the grade-point average.
  • R:  Registered paid auditor, not graded
  • W: Official Withdrawal -If a student withdraws from a class after the end of the 9th week of the term (Fall and Spring term, and the student is failing at that time, the grade will be reported as an F.

Incomplete Grade Agreement

Effective Fall 2015 students can request an incomplete grade only:

  • under exceptional circumstances
  • at the discretion of the instructor
  • after the ninth week of the term
  • with 50% of the coursework complete
  • The instructor will determine the time the student will have to complete the work, but it cannot be later than the last day of classes in the following term (Fall, Spring and Summer)
  • If the student does not complete the outstanding work by the agreed date, the incomplete grade (I) becomes an F. F grades cannot be removed or changed.
  • Incomplete grades may result in academic action by the Committee on Student Progress (above) and failure to meet satisfactory academic progress by the Office of Financial Aid.
  • Only matriculated students can request an incomplete grade

Independent Study

Independent Study is offered only when a student’s degree requirements may not be met by a regularly scheduled class. Both undergraduate and graduate students are permitted to take from one to six credits of Independent Study outside their areas of specialization. Each Department/Program, however, determines the total number of credits of Independent Study that a student may take within the area of specialization. These units may be taken either in the student’s area of specialization or as unrestricted electives.

Undergraduates may not use Independent Study for the sixty or more required units in the liberal arts. Independent Study may not be used in the required professional education sequence in a teaching curriculum. Undergraduates may not enroll in graduate (level 2) Independent Study courses. Independent studies can be taken only within the school in which a student is matriculated. Non-matriculated students are not eligible for independent study.

An independent study requires a minimum of 45 hours of work per unit.

The Independent Study form also allows a student to title an independent study. These forms do not require School approval and may be submitted directly from the department to the University Registrar’s Office of Student Services, NEW address 383 Lafayette Street (East 4th Street). Independent Study Forms are available at Registration Services, 82 Washington Square East, Pless Hall, 2nd Floor, (212) 998-5055

Deadlines: Pre-registered students should submit Independent Study forms during the first three weeks of the term. Late registering students should attach an Independent Study Form to the Program Change Form at the time of registration.

Signatures: The adviser’s signature at all times, along with those of the sponsoring faculty member and the chairperson of the department in which the student is matriculated.

Pass/Fail Grading Option

Students can choose to opt out of a weighted grade for any course as approved by students' program advisor. The pass/fail option must be requested by the pass/fail deadline, as outlined in the University's Academic Calendar. The maximum number of courses that can be taken as pass/fail may not exceed 25% of the student’s total program or 25% of the specialization (this does not include those courses in which pass/fail is the standard grading). Once this option is selected, it can only be changed prior to the pass/fail deadline. Students can cancel a pass/fail request by emailing Non-matriculated students are not eligible for pass/fail.

Pass/Fail forms can be found on the Steinhardt Forms and Publications page.

Repeating Courses

Effective Fall 2015 if a student repeats a course, all grades are calculated in the GPA, and all grades appear on the transcript.

Prior to Fall 2015, only the highest grade assigned for the course was calculated in the GPA

Student Records

Every student has a permanent record which is filed in their department and includes the admissions application, course substitution forms, statement of transfer credit, check sheets, transcripts (high school and previous colleges), correspondence with the student, advisement records, program of study forms, evaluations, and any other official material related to the student. The permanent record is maintained by the department for purposes of program advisement. In compliance with the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA - PL 93-380), students wishing to see their permanent record must make an appointment with:

Albert Gentile, Associate Registrar
105 East 17th Street, 2nd Floor
Phone: 212-998-4805

Permanent records are kept for seven years after the student has graduated or has last been in attendance.