Congratulations on your acceptance to the NYU Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development! You've been selected to join a diverse community of scholars embarking on a new stage in their professional lives.
Now that the hard part is over, it’s time to make your plans. Follow the steps below to review your offer and make your decision.
Accept or Decline Your Offer
- Step 1: Activate Your NYU NetID
- Step 2: View Financial Aid and Review Tuition and Fees
- Step 3: Accept or Decline Your Offer
- Step 4: If You're Accepting, Deposit to Secure Your Spot
Attending? What to Do Soon
- Share Your Good News!
- Activate Your NYUHome Email Account
- International Students – Advisement, Registration, and Apply for Visa
- Mail In Final Official Transcript(s)
Attending? What to Do before Classes Begin
- Seek Advisement and Register for Classes
- Obtain NYU ID Card
- Attend New Student Orientation Session
- Fulfill Health and Immunization Requirements
- Obtain Housing
- Advanced Standing (Also Known As Transfer Credits)
Step 1: Activate Your NetID
Note: You will need to wait at least 24 hours from the date of viewing your acceptance message to activate your NetID and follow the steps outlined below.
Included in your acceptance message is your NetID, a unique alphanumeric code that NYU assigns to you (e.g., xyz123). Your NetID is not your University ID number (which is a 9-character ID number starting with a capital N).
You will use your NetID and password to access your NYUHome account, which is a customizable web interface that links you to your NYU email account as well as other systems and tools.
Step 2: View Your Financial Aid Award and Review Tuition and Fees
If you filed the FAFSA, you will be notified via email by the Office of Financial Aid when your financial aid package is ready for viewing. You should expect to hear from them in late March for Summer/Fall enrollment or early December for Spring enrollment; if you are accepted after these windows, you will be notified approximately 2 weeks after receiving your official acceptance message.
You will not be able to access your financial aid until you receive an email notice from the Office of Financial Aid. When it becomes available you will be able to follow the instructions included in the email to view your package. Information about financial aid can be found at Steinhardt Financial Aid.
International students are encouraged to visit NYU's Office of Financial Aid page for private and alternative loans to learn more about financial aid options.
Tuition and fees are assessed on a per-credit basis each semester.
If you have questions about the status of your financial aid package, your FAFSA, student loans, or college work study, contact NYU's Office of Financial Aid at 212-998-4444 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step 3: Accept or Decline Your Offer
We hope you will join our incoming class! Whether you've decided to join the NYU Steinhardt community or you're choosing to decline our offer, please let us know your decision:
- Visit your status page
- In the forms section, select Reply to Offer of Admission and Learn How to Pay Deposit
- Follow the instructions to accept or decline our offer
Please note that to confirm your place, we require a nonrefundable tuition deposit – as noted in your acceptance message – that we will apply as a credit to your student account. Refer to your acceptance message for your tuition deposit deadline.
You have been accepted for the academic plan and the semester listed in your acceptance message. You are admitted for a particular semester and only for that semester.
NYU Steinhardt does not allow deferrals. If you cannot attend in the semester for which you were accepted, you must reapply and be reconsidered for admission.
Step 4: If You're Accepting, Deposit to Secure Your Spot
Remember, your acceptance is only final when we receive your nonrefundable tuition deposit. Refer to your acceptance message for your tuition deposit deadline.
- Log on to Albert using your NYU NetID and password
- Select the Applicants tab (not the Student tab)
- Go to the Admissions section and select the View Application Status button
- Click the Admission Offer button at the top of the page
- Click the Accept/Decline button
- Click Accept Offer
- Follow the prompts until you confirm your final decision. Please be prepared to pay the required nonrefundable tuition deposit by e-check or credit card. After you make your final decision, the Admission Offer button will no longer be available to you.
NOTE: If you are experiencing problems with the credit card payment screen not appearing, please disable your browser's popup blockers.
We highly recommend that you accept our offer online. If you need to accept our offer by mail, you must complete a tuition deposit form and mail in a check or money order by your deposit deadline.
Deposit by Mail (only if you are unable to accept offer online):
- Please mail a completed tuition deposit form and check or money order payable to "New York University" to:
Office of Graduate Admissions
82 Washington Square East, 3rd Floor
New York, NY 10003
ATTN: Tuition Deposit.
DO NOT SEND CASH. The check or money order must be in US funds only and include your University ID number in the memo section.
- Once the Office of Graduate Admissions receives your tuition deposit, the "Admission Offer" button will no longer be available to you online.
Share Your Good News!
Congratulations on becoming part of the NYU Steinhardt community! Now take a moment to let everyone know you’re #NYUSteinhardtBound. Take a photo with the sign provided in your welcome brochure. Don't forget to tag us on Twitter or Instagram (@nyusteinhardt), and follow to hear about upcoming takeovers and see what it's like to be an NYU Steinhardt graduate student.
Activate Your NYUHome Email Account
Once you have accepted our offer by paying your tuition deposit, you can activate your NYU email account. You must activate your NYU NetID first; please wait 24 hours after activating your NetID and making your deposit, then do the following:
- Go to NYU Start
- Type in your NetID and click the Start button
- Enter your password (it’s the same password you use to access NYUHome)
- Click the Continue button
- At the menu select Activate your NYU Google Apps for Education Account link
- Once you’ve activated your email account, log back into NYUHome
- Select the Academics page and click Go on the NYU Email card
Most University offices, including Graduate Admissions, Financial Aid, the Bursar, Housing, and Student Affairs, will communicate with you via your NYU Email account exclusively. It is imperative that you check your NYU Email account on a regular basis.
International Students – Advisement, Registration, and Apply for Visa
All new international graduate students at NYU Steinhardt must review the following website:
- See special instructions for international students on obtaining your student visa, advisement, and registration.
Mail In Final Official Transcript(s)
To enroll at NYU Steinhardt, we require that you send us official transcripts as follows:
- One final transcript showing conferral of your undergraduate degree (baccalaureate or equivalent). It must list the date the degree was awarded and the title of the degree.
- One final transcript from any institution at which a degree was conferred (e.g., if you received a master's degree)
- One transcript from any institution at which you did graduate-level work, even if a degree was not conferred.
Each transcript must be sent to the Office of Graduate Admissions and be received prior to your first term of registration. Any transcript you send must be an original official transcript with the Registrar's stamp or signature. Documents in a language other than English must be accompanied by notarized translations.
Please remember to include a completed document cover sheet with your transcript(s). The document cover sheet contains our mailing address.
If your institution has the ability to send electronic transcripts, please have your institution send us your electronic transcript to the following designated email address: email@example.com. Electronic transcripts sent to any other email address will not be processed.
Please note: The copies of your transcripts that you scanned and uploaded with your online application are not considered final or official.
Seek Advisement and Register for Classes
Advisement is integral to the academic experience and plays a key role in student satisfaction, success, and retention. NYU Steinhardt faculty and professional advisers work with you to develop your academic plan.
After you submit your tuition deposit you will receive more information from your program office regarding advisement and orientation. You can also visit our Graduate Orientation Portal (to be updated in December for Spring enrollment and mid-April for Summer and Fall enrollment), which offers important information on advisement and registration in your department. Note that you may not register for classes before submitting your tuition deposit and being advised.
Should you have any questions or concerns before making your enrollment decision, please contact Graduate Admissions or use the contact information noted in your acceptance message to connect with someone in your program office.
Obtain NYU ID Card
Your NYU ID Card gives you access to NYU buildings including the libraries, fitness centers, and computer labs. Getting your NYU student ID, known around campus as your NYU Card, is now easier than ever. Visit the NYU Card website for more information.
INSIDER TIP: Avoid long and boring lines. Start the process before coming to campus. Upload a photo today to get your NYU Card.
Attend New Student Orientation Session
Visit the Student Affairs website for more information on the New Graduate Student Welcome Session at the beginning of the semester. The Graduate Orientation Portal for all new master's and advanced certificate students is updated by December 1 for spring and April 15 for summer/fall:
Fulfill Health and Immunization Requirements
New York State law and/or New York University require all newly admitted students complete several health-related requirements.
Graduate housing space is limited and not guaranteed. The Graduate Housing application is available via the Housing Forms channel at NYUHome by clicking on the link, or by looking in the NYU Life page.
Learn more about applying for on-campus housing.
Visit the NYU Housing website to find detailed information on the types of residences available.
The NYU Center for Student Life provides students with general advice and resources in the apartment search process. Although the Center for Student Life does not provide actual apartments, links to housing search websites, a housing and roommate Registry exclusively viewable to the NYU Community, market information, a discount broker, tenant resources, and other links are provided on the Off-Campus Living page.
Contact the NYU Center for Student Life:
60 Washington Square South, 7th floor
If you were accepted for summer or plan on taking summer courses and would like to explore the possibility of summer housing at NYU, please visit the NYU Summer Housing website.
Advanced Standing (also known as transfer credits)
Unless restricted by your program, master's and advanced certificate students may be eligible to receive up to 30 percent of their total program credit requirement as advanced standing credits (also known as transfer credits) provided they meet the 24-credit residency requirement. Credits may be considered if they meet all of the following:
- Carry graduate status and be from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or international equivalent
- Not have been used toward another completed degree
- Be approved by an academic adviser in your program
- Have been earned within the past 10 years with a letter grade of B or better
NYU Steinhardt does not allow doctoral students to receive advanced standing.
On behalf of the staff of the Office of Graduate Admissions, we welcome you! If you need assistance or do not know where to turn, contact us and we will guide you to the proper department.