Professor of Applied Psychology; Dean Emerita
Mary M. Brabeck, PhD, is Professor of Applied Psychology and Dean Emerita of the Steinhardt School of Culture, Education and Human Development. She served as dean of NYU Steinhardt from 2003 until 2014. Dr. Brabeck is a fellow of APA and of AERA and her research focuses on intellectual development, professional ethics, and teacher education. She is Editor-Elect of the Psychology of Women Quarterly, the APA journal of the Society for Psychology of Women. She published Practicing Feminist Ethics in Psychology (2000, Washington DC: APA) and Meeting at the Hyphen: Schools-Universities-Professions in Collaboration for Student Achievement and Well Being (102nd Yearbook of the NSSE; 2003, Chicago: University of Chicago Press). She served on the APA Board of Educational Affairs, 2004-2007, was chair of the Task Force on Applications of Psychological Science to Teaching and Learning, and chair of the Board of the American Association of Colleges of Teacher Education 2004-05. She currently is an elected member of the Board of Governors of the New York Academy of Sciences and is the elected chair of the Board of Directors of the Council on Accrediation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). Dr. Brabeck's awards include an honorary degree from St. Joseph University in Philadelphia, Outstanding Achievement Award from the University of Minnesota, Leadership Award from the American Psychological Association Committee on Women in Psychology, and the Kuhmerker Award from the Association for Moral Education.
- Worrell, F., Brabeck, M. et al.[ (2014). Assessing and Evaluating Teacher Preparation Programs. Washington DC: American Psychological Association.
- Brabeck, M. M., Walsh, M. E., Latta, R. (2003). Meeting at the hyphen: Schools-universities-professions-communities in collaboration for student achievement and well-being. One Hundred and Second Yearbook of the National Society for the Study of Education.
- Brabeck, M. M. (Ed.) (2000) Practicing Feminist Ethics in Psychology. Division 35 (Psychology of Women) Book Series, American Psychological Association.
- Brabeck, M. (Ed). (1989). Who Cares? Theory, Research and Educational Implications of the Ethic of Care. NY: Praeger. Abstracted in The Philosopher's Index and Bibliography of Philosophy.
- American Psychological Association.(2013). Guidelines for Preparing High School Psychology Teachers: Course-Based and Standards-Based Approaches.
- Brabeck, M. and Jeffries, J., (2009). Effective Practice: Not Drill and Kill. On-line module developed with the APA Coalition for Psychology in Schools and Education.