Skip to main content

Search NYU Steinhardt

NYU flag in front of Pless Hall

How to Apply
BA, Education Studies/MA, Educational Leadership, Politics, and Advocacy Dual Degree

Open to students already enrolled in the NYU Steinhardt undergraduate program in Education Studies, this dual degree allows you to earn a bachelors of arts in Education Studies and a master of arts in Educational Leadership, Politics, and Advocacy in five years. Undergraduates take courses toward their graduate degree in their junior and senior years and complete the MA in one additional year of study.

Change the future of education with a career in leadership, politics, and advocacy. You will explore educational politics and policy and the burgeoning role of educational organizations working with schools and communities, both nationally and internationally; learn to lead cross-sector; create collaborative networks; and engage in research and policy analysis.

Application Deadlines

Fall deadline: February 1

Submit an application during the your sophomore or junior year.

How to Apply

Step 1: Are you eligible to apply?

This dual BA/MA program is open to currently enrolled BA in Education Studies students in good standing at the sophomore or junior level. Before applying, make an appointment with your Education Studies advisor to review the five-year program and discuss your interests and professional goals. 

Step 2: Learn more about the graduate program

After speaking with your Education Studies advisor, you may wish to learn more about the graduate MA degree. You can email to meet with a faculty member or graduate advisor, as well as find out about upcoming information sessions. Completing the dual-degree curriculum within five years requires both commitment and careful planning. This conversation will help you make an informed decision about this dual-degree program. Please bring a copy of your current NYU transcript to this meeting.

We review all applications individually and holistically, but our expectation is that successful candidates for admissions to any NYU Steinhardt MA program in Educational Leadership, Politics, and Advocacy will have a minimum 3.0 undergraduate grade point average.

Step 3: Submit your application

The application to the dual BA/MA degree requires:

  • A personal statement that explains your interest in the BA/MA dual degree program (i.e., your career goals and how this program fits into them) - no more than 2-3 pages typed, 750 words or less, double-spaced.
  • A copy of your current resume
  • A writing sample (6-15 pages, double-spaced, and typed; this could be a paper/essay from a previous class)

When you have prepared the above materials, please apply here

Step 4: Receive Your Admission Decision

Admissions decisions will be shared in early March. If you are accepted, you will need to submit a Change of Major form by April 1. This form will allow you to transfer to the dual-degree program.

Becoming a Graduate Student

Your Third or Fourth Year

In the Spring, you’ll work with your new graduate advisor to register for graduate courses for the upcoming Fall semester. In Fall of your senior year, you’ll attend Graduate Orientation to learn more about the program.

During Spring of your senior year, you and your advisor will submit a Dual Degree Declaration form for you to officially become a graduate student.

Your Fifth Year

Once you enter your fifth year of study (your first as a graduate student), you will need to meet with your graduate advisor to complete the transition. You will then complete the remaining credits for your master’s degree.

Important Information about Financial Aid

Please note that financial aid at the graduate level is different than at the undergraduate level and you may not receive the same aid. In fact, some types of aid available to undergraduate students are not available once you become a graduate student, and you will be considered for graduate scholarships at this time.

To be considered for any type of financial aid (including scholarships), you must submit FAFSA renewal between November 1 and March 1 of your senior year. When submitting the form, be sure to indicate your new status as a graduate student.

Contact Us