As we struggle with the impacts of a global pandemic and ongoing racial injustice, how do we make this moment an opportunity to re-envision the role of schools in U.S. society? How do we enact this fresh vision in the 2021 - 2022 school year and beyond?
The Research Alliance is co-sponsoring the May 26 “Reimagining the Role of Schools in Society” forum, aimed at challenging the pre-pandemic status quo and identifying ways for schools to "build back better" in the areas of mental health, teaching and learning, and racial and social justice.
This conversation will feature research and practice ideas from a new generation of education scholars at NYU Steinhardt, and a moderated discussion and Q&A from a panel of seasoned education leaders. The schedule is below:
12:00 - 12:05pm Introductions
12:05 - 12:35pm Early Career Scholar Presentations:
- Chelsea Daniels, Doctoral student in Sociology, NYU Arts & Science
- Olga Pagán, Doctoral student in Applied Psychology, NYU Steinhardt
- Sarah Rosenbach, Doctoral student in Applied Psychology, NYU Steinhardt
12:40 - 1:45pm Moderated Panel Discussion:
- Melinda Anderson, Education Journalist and Author (moderator)
- Dr. Marc Atkins, Director, Institute for Juvenile Research, University of Illinois at Chicago
- Denise Forte, Interim CEO, The Education Trust
- Dr. Shabnam Javdani, Associate Professor of Applied Psychology, NYU Steinhardt, and Associate Faculty Director, NYU Prison Education Program
- Ralph Smith, Managing Director, Campaign for Grade-Level Reading
Read more and register for this event on the Institute of Human Development and Change website.