The Learning Analytics Research Network (LEARN) combines deep expertise in advanced data science methods with practiced skill in the research and development of innovative learning approaches to support NYU in becoming a living learning system. LEARN’s efforts make NYU a leader in data-informed teaching and learning while also generating impactful new knowledge for the field about how analytics can promote equitable and effective education.
LEARN is a collaborative effort led by Director Alyssa Wise, focused on community change that puts people, not data, first.
Among its key characteristics are:
- Building partnerships between researchers, information technology staff, faculty, administrators and students to jointly advance data-informed teaching and learning
- Creating and supporting effective teaching and learning tools that augment human capacity to improve educational processes
- Acting as an intellectual hub for innovation where exciting new ideas about data-informed education arise, germinate, and spark action
- Promoting a culture of ethical data use grounded in shared principles and jointly-developed policies
- Connecting learning analytics efforts at NYU with the larger scholarly community
- Leveraging data traces to understand and improve learning both face-to-face and online