Upcoming Admissions Information Sessions
Please RSVP for the upcoming MCC MA Admissions Events:
- November 1, 2016 @ 6:00 pm- On Campus Info Session
- November 9, 2016 @ 11:00 am- Online Info Session with MA Graduate Advisors
The deadline for receipt of all materials is February 1, 2017 for Fall (September) 2017 admission.
All US citizens and permanent residents who wish to be considered for scholarship funding must submit a FAFSA by February 1, 2017. NYU Steinhardt offers one scholarship for international students; the Graduate Education Scholarship for North American Scholars is available to citizens of Mexico or Canada. Details and a complete list of scholarships are available on the financial aid website. Please note: some scholarships require a separate application.
If you submitted a test score using an incorrect institution code, send an email to Steinhardt's Office of Graduate Admissions to confirm that your score has been received. See more information on test scores.
See the Steinhardt Graduate Admissions guide for instructions on how to apply. The application requirements for the MA in Media, Culture, and Communication and the dual-degree program (MA/MSLIS) are the same.
Please send all materials to the Office of Graduate Admissions. Processing of an application will be delayed if materials are sent to the Department of Media, Culture, and Communication.
An application to the MA program in Media, Culture, and Communication includes:
- The online application form and fee
- A statement of purpose/personal statement (2 - 3 pages double-spaced) that explains your purpose in undertaking graduate study in media, culture, and communication
- Two letters of recommendation from persons in a position to assess your ability to succeed in a graduate program
- A résumé of your academic and professional experience
- GRE scores (General Test, institution code 2556, no departmental code required).
The major code for the MA program is MDCC; the major code for the dual degree program is MCLS; there is no option code required for either program. Dual degree applicants must also apply to Long Island University's Palmer School of Library and Information Science.
Please note: we receive an enormous number of inquiries from prospective students. Our FAQ page will provide you with basic information about the program.
Additional Information for International Students
International applicants should carefully review the Special Instructions for International Applicants for information about English proficiency exams and transcript translation.
Please note, if you are offered admission to the MA program in Media, Culture, and Communication you will be required to take the NYU ALI English Proficiency Exam at NYU’s American Language Institute (ALI). Additional information about the exam process will be sent at the time of admission.
Upon completion of the ALI exam, you will be placed in a level corresponding with your exam results, level 1 through 9. As a condition of enrollment in MCC, you will be required to take the following English language courses based on the reported level results:
- Levels 1 – 6: You will be required to take full-time English study. With approval from the MCC Core Seminar instructor you may also enroll in MCC-GE 2001.
- Levels 7 – 8: You will be required to take part-time English coursework. In addition you will take two MCC classes (8 credits).
- Level 9: You will not be required to take any English coursework.