Welcome to NYU Steinhardt’s Department of Physical Therapy, located in the Gramercy section of New York City and close to world-class teaching hospitals. Here we educate students to become physical therapists and physical therapists to become researchers and advanced clinicians.
Our department has a remarkable history in physical therapy education, leadership and innovation with many firsts, including:
- A baccalaureate/certificate program in 1927
- Post-professional MA program in pathokinesiology in 1943
- A PhD program in physical therapy in 1970
- New York State’s first doctor of physical therapy program in 1999
In 2010, we admitted our first class of physical therapists to the Clinical Residency Program in Orthopedic Physical Therapy, the first of its kind in the New York metropolitan region.
Our mission is to provide innovative physical therapy education that assures currency with the changing health-care environment. For those just entering the physical therapy profession, we aim to educate generalists who are evidence-based, ethical, life-long learners and leaders, capable of rendering independent judgments in the service of others. For physical therapists we offer post professional education and training needed to create and apply new knowledge in the health care environment.
Explore our website to find out how we achieve this mission.
Discover our five program offerings including our:
- Nationally recognized sequential curriculum in the doctor of physical therapy (DPT) program
- Clinical residency in orthopedic physical therapy
- DPT for practicing physical therapists
Find out about our:
- Small class sizes and open door policy for student mentoring
- One-of-a-kind Master Clinician observations
- Outstanding clinical sites
- Stellar faculty
- The extraordinary resources NYU has to offer in culturally diverse and exhilarating New York City
I look forward to seeing you.
Mitchell Batavia, PT, MA, PhD
Associate Professor and Department Chair