MA, Teaching Mathematics, Grades 7-12, Professional Certification
Hone Your Expertise in Teaching Mathematics
Enrich and expand on your pedagogical skills and refine and update your teaching practices. In this master of arts program, you will study modern mathematics, the teaching of mathematics, and current issues in education, with the option to take classes at NYU’s Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences, and complete a culminating project on a topic related to adolescent mathematics education. This MA program is for educators who have already met the requirements for initial certification in Teaching Mathematics, Grades 7-12.
This program leads to eligibility for New York State professional teaching certification in Teaching Mathematics, Grades 7-12. An initial certification program is also available.
What you'll learn
- Strategies for teaching mathematics to students in middle and high school
- Curriculum development and learning assessment in secondary school mathematics
- Approaches for adapting math curricula, assessments, and learning environments to meet the needs of students with disabilities in general education settings
See the curriculum and degree requirements for this master's degree.
How you'll learn
Study with Distinguished Mathematics Faculty
Our faculty have conducted definitive research in mathematics education both nationally and globally, and continue to be active at the highest levels of professional associations and in current areas of mathematics research. Current faculty include:
Focus on Current Issues in Math Education
Our curriculum combines core subjects in mathematics pedagogy, such as teaching data analysis, algebra, and geometry in Grades 7-12 with topical issues in mathematics education, including educating students with disabilities in middle and high schools, educational design for the web, and issues of gender and ethnicity in mathematics education.
Prepare for a career as a
- Teacher of mathematics and related subjects, including computer science, in middle and high schools
- Mathematics curriculum specialist, coordinator, or evaluator in schools and school districts
- Researcher or teacher educator in colleges and universities
- Trainer or specialist in applied mathematics in corporate and other private sector settings