Senior Spotlight: Grace Roslovic

Where are you from?

I was born and raised in Columbus, Ohio.

What is your background in music?

I started playing violin at age 3 through the Suzuki method. In high school, I got to travel to different cities with my violin group to perform in Italy and Peru. During those trips, I saw how important music was to many different cultures, and while we may not have known the same languages, all violin students were able to perform the same repertoire we all had learned. From that experience, I knew I wanted to do something in music, but wasn’t sure how until I interned at CD102.5, a locally owned alt-rock station in high school. I didn’t want to be a performer, so being behind the scenes was the next best thing.

Why did you decide to come to NYU?

It’s funny, according to my mom I started telling people I wanted to go to NYU in middle school, although I have no recollection of this. I visited 15+ campuses and it was only at NYU did I feel like I was at home. It sounds so corny but from the time I got to campus as I student, I felt that there was no other place that I could go that I would love more than NYU. I knew coming here would challenge me in every possible way, and I couldn’t pass up that opportunity.

Who are some of your favorite musical artists?

Oh man, this is a hard one. It has and will always change. My all time favorite album isĀ My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy by Kanye West. Besides that, I have been listening to a lot of Melanie Martinez, Kacey Musgraves, Adele, Drake, and Nas.

Do you have any musical guilty pleasures?

I absolutely love Fat Joe. Ever since Middle School, I have no idea why. He peaked too early and he needs to make a comeback.

What have been some of your favorite music business classes/professors in your time here?

I am actually really enjoying my Entrepreneurship class this semester. I am learning so much about starting a business from the ground up, and am applying a combination of all of the skills I have attained from other classes. I think it is one that has really challenged my understanding of businesses and will be some experiences that I will carry with me forever.

Have you had any really cool music-related moments in New York?

A ton! In really strange, unexpected ways, though. My Freshman year I actually worked for the Strokes’ manager and had no idea for the first few weeks, until Julian Casablancas walked into the office and shook my hand. I was completely caught off guard. Up to that point, no one ever talked about the Strokes directly, so I didn’t have any idea what I was getting myself into. I found the internship randomly on Wasserman and it turned out to be one of my most memorable and favorite experiences in college.

What was your best Internship?

I was the first undergraduate recipient for the Freddie Bienstock Scholarship and Internship the summer after my Junior year. I got to actually read through AC/DC and Frank Sinatra copyright contracts, conduct due diligence on potential catalog acquisitions, and learn about how music licensing prices are made. I had learned all about this in my classes, but this time I got to actually take what I knew and contribute to the company.

What is your dream job?

Hmm.. that is in the works. I can see myself going into multiple areas, so I want life to get me there. If I had a straightforward plan, it would be to be an artist manager. I am a control freak.

Are you leaving the program with different career aspirations than you had when you entered the program?

No. I want to keep learning about more and more facets of the music industry. I knew when I came here that I didn’t know what I wanted to do, but I am so happy I have stayed that way because the industry is ever changing. It is important to understand every facet and be able to adapt to anything and everything – in my opinion, it is the only way to stay successful, and the industry needs people who want to continue learning. Be open and creative.

What is your advice for any incoming freshmen or transfer students to the program?

Your time at NYU is completely determined by you. Use this time to explore every single opportunity, and never take no for an answer.