Dr. Agnieszka Roginska 2019 AES President Elect

At the beginning of 2019, Music Technology’s Dr. Agnieszka Roginska officially became the AES’s newest President Elect before she becomes the president of AES in the following year. We wish Dr. Roginska the best this year and we look forward to seeing all of her amazing work with the AES this year.

Q: What are some major decisions the AES executive board has to discuss?

The board itself takes larger decisions such as the vision of the society. What I think a lot of people don’t see is that throughout the 3 days of AES, there’s nonstop meetings of sub  committees. For example, there is a a convention policy committee that meets and they decide we’re going to be, there’s a conference policy committee that decides on specific topics take based on proposals from different different people, there’s a big standards committee to decide on the all the AES standards like formatting standards.

Q: What motivated you to take on this challenge?

I have been involved with the AES for many years so feel like I have in-depth knowledge about what the AES is. I also was thinking a lot about how there is a lot of imbalance in terms of the diversity that exists in the AES and the entire audio industry. As you know, we’ve been paying attention to SWiTCH (Society of Women in Technology) here at NYU and I’ve always tried to be a champion for women in the audio industry. And in this past year, I had a personal revelation that if I wanted to see more women in more leadership roles in audio, I said, “you know what, I should be one of those women”.

Q: In what ways can Music Technology students benefit from being involved with the AES? 

In my opinion, I think that any student that’s involved in any type of audio should be an AES member. It is designed to allow all students to be a part of the AES. The AES the largest conglomerate of audio professionals in the world. So if you are a member, you now have access to an enormous network of professionals, companies, and activities that involve your field. The best thing students can do is to enter this network as early as possible. At first it might be really overwhelming when you go to the conventions, but when you enter this network and you meet the people, you realize that they’re not only great at what they do, but they’re also really nice people. And there’s always been a culture at AES of “passing it down”. For instance the more senior members of the society want to give back and mentor and younger members of the society. You soon realize how easy it is to enter the network.

Congratulations once again, Dr. Roginska!

The 2019 Audio Engineering Society Board of Governors Announcement:

http://www.clynemedia.com/AES/Election_Results_2018/AES_Election_Results_2018.html?fbclid=IwAR1pkzFgEWAwhYVpYliYaLPZqcwyThomdaSFhfxyamHg6zI_5y56ta0Xhl4

Dr. Roginska’s AES member profile:

http://www.aes.org/member/profile.cfm?ID=557211590