Recent Music Tech Grads Open “Corner Store Studios”

Over the past few months, recent NYU Music Technology grads Josh Liebman , Kerim Wilhelm, and Jake Zacharia opened up a production and mixing studio called “Corner Store Studios” in Brooklyn.

We caught up with Co-owner Josh Liebman to hear about his journey through Music Technology and the process of opening up a studio right out of college.

Q: Huge congrats on Corner Store Studios! Can you give me a brief description of your personal music technology background?

Josh: Thank you! I was lucky enough to go to a High school with a great music program that introduced me to production and got me started working in Logic. I started to intern at a local studio my senior year and next thing I know I was off to NYU. Since coming to the city I have interned at a number of studios including Studio G and The Cutting Room before securing my current engineering at Moon Recording and opening up Corner Store!

Q: How did you, Kerim, and Jake all get interested in wanting to open a studio together?

Josh: I was actually the last of the trio to get involved. Jake and I were in the same year and had worked together a few times and had talked more than once about doing something more formal in terms of a partnership, but nothing ever came of it. Then this past summer Jake reached out to me with the idea. The other two had started looking into spaces and that’s when Jake got in touch with me about getting involved. It wasn’t something that was really on my radar, but after thinking about it, it was really a no-brainer.

Q: What are some things that you’ve taken away from your time at NYU Music Tech that helped you accomplish what you’ve done so far with Corner Store?

Josh: Going into the space we kind of had to put everything we had learned at NYU to use. The studio was just an empty box and one of the first things we had to do was start to think about how to treat the space, and how to wire it and what kind of gear we wanted and every other tiny detail that goes into opening a studio, and it was great to feel like we actually knew what we were doing. And to this day most of my work comes from connections I have made at NYU. These connections are some of the most important things I have taken away from the Music Tech program and all of this together really makes something like Corner Store possible.

Q: What is some advice you could give to current students studying Music Technology that are interested in opening running their own studio?

Josh: Honestly, go for it. It’s something I wish I had thought of even sooner. Don’t think about trying to make it a business at first, that part will come later. But, just think about it as an investment in yourself. Having a professional space to work out of will give you the opportunity to put out better quality projects and will motivate you to work even harder at what you do. Since getting into our space, we have all been hustling to get it booked and when it’s not booked, we’ve been trying to use the time in whatever way we can to work on new projects or make the space even better.

Q: What do you see in the future for Corner Store studios and for those who are interested in your services how can they reach out to you?

Josh: For all of us, this is Corner Store version 1.0. The idea is to continue to grow this as far as it will take us. We’re only a couple months in, but the plan already is to move into a bigger space when this lease is up. We are continually looking forward with all of the decisions we are making. And to reach us, you can get in touch with anyone of us, or shoot us an email at cornerstorestudios44@gmail.com.

Stay updated with everything Corner Store Studios is up to on their socials:

Email: cornerstorestudios44@gmail.com

Facebook: Corner Store Studios

Instagram: @cornerstorestudios