Get to Know David!

Hi!  I’m David Barrera, the new graduate intern at CCTOP!  One of my biggest projects as the new intern is managing CCTOP’s social media presence.  This blog is here for current CCTOP students, alumni, and prospective students.  I’ll be posting about your amazing accomplishments and will also send out helpful reminders for important deadlines.  With that said, all blog posts will be broadcast on our Facebook page so be sure to follow us!

I’m excited to be enrolled in Steinhardt’s program in Higher Education and Student Affairs and to be working with CCTOP!  My goal in this program is to learn how to best support and be a resource for students from underrepresented communities. I’m a big believer in the idea that education is a form of social justice, and I developed a strong sense of how systems of inequality operate in the US after graduating from Brown University with degrees in biology and ethnic studies.

More about me… I grew up in Texas, but I do not own a pair of cowboy boots.  Somehow that surprises a lot of people. Some of my favorite tv shows are Broad City, The Walking Dead, and Scandal.  Last thing, I’ve lived in New York for almost 3 years now, and during that time I developed a deep passion for improv comedy.  If anyone is interested in learning more about the improv scene in New York, please reach out to me!  I LOVE this stuff and seriously never stop talking about it.  

Looking forward to meeting you!

David