Meet Kevin Franco, CCTOP Graduate Intern!

Hello CCTOPers!

I am excited to start this new professional and educational journey with you all. I was born in Los Angeles and raised in the San Fernando Valley, California (20 minutes from LA; 40-60 minutes with traffic). I graduated from UC Berkeley with a B.A. in Sociology. From there, I began working in the college access and success sector, assisting a spectrum of students in their pursuit of a Bachelors degree. I am now enrolled in Steinhardt’s Higher Education and Student Affairs (HESA) M.A. program.

My passion/interests in higher education consist of social justice pedagogy/approaches in regards to equity and inclusion at an institutional level. Through the M.A. program, I hope to acquire the skills to learn how to restructure systemic issues to better support underrepresented students (i.e. minority students, transfer students, etc). To me, education has been a transformative tool for myself because it has taught me to love myself, understand the complexities of my salient identities, and most importantly, find my passions.  If you ever want to chat about these areas, I’d love to hear your thoughts!

On a personal note, I am a big ‘foodie’ –I like to try different cuisines around the city (I do try to keep it inexpensive! After all, I am on a student budget!). If you know of a good ramen or Thai restaurant, please let me know (I like my ramen broth salty)! Music festivals are also of interest to me. I also love to relax by binging on a good Netflix/Hulu show during the weekend. I believe in the value of building positive, genuine connections with individuals, and I make the best effort to embody that value in all the spaces I am in. In other words, stop by the office if you are nearby. As you continue on your own educational journey, I hope to be of assistance and/or of guidance to you all. I look forward to meeting each one of you.

Kevin

Posted on | Bookmark the permalink.