We are planning to run this program in-person for summer 2022; however, we must remain flexible in our response to COVID-19 developments. The health and safety of our students, faculty, and staff are our primary concerns, so remote workshops may be a necessary alternative. This page will be updated as soon as guidance from NYU central is available.
The NYU Steinhardt Summer Dance Intensive is designed for high school students, in their junior or senior year, with an interest in examining dance through multiple lenses. Focus will be on developing creativity, evolving technical and artistic skills, deepening an appreciation and understanding of the art form, and preparing students for future goals in higher education and careers in the dance field.
During this two-week summer session, students will:
- engage in daily technique classes in classical ballet and modern dance
- practice additional styles of dance, such as jazz, African, and hip-hop
- explore tools for improvisation and choreography
- learn and perform original choreography for an in-studio showcase on the final day of the program
- meet representatives and discuss topics, such as injury prevention, how to apply to NYU, and how to pursue a career in the dance field
- attend several exciting performances around New York City
July 5 - July 16, 2021
May 15, 2021
$55 (Non-Refundable Application Fee)
TBD (On-Campus Housing and Required Meal Plan 2019: $898)
$80 (Programming Fee)
Scholarships and Financial Aid Available
High School Students
Submit a dance audition video, demonstrating your proficiency in any style of dance you choose, with an emphasis on showcasing the technique of the chosen style. You may choose to present class exercises and/or choreography. Focus should be on showing a strong foundation in dance by displaying technical skills, as well as the student's propensity for dance.
Video auditions should be no more than 5 minutes, and dancer should be clearly visible in a studio or on stage. If you have additional questions about auditions, you may contact Allegra Romita at firstname.lastname@example.org