All students enrolled in NYU Steinhardt courses have the opportunity to evaluate their experience through our online course evaluation surveys. Steinhardt moved from paper to online course evaluations in Fall 2011. These evaluations have been administered by the Office of Accreditation and Assessment since 2015.
If you have any questions or concerns, please review the information below. If you have additional questions, please reach out to the Steinhardt Course Evaluations Team at email@example.com.
Course Evaluation Platform Transition
NYU Steinhardt is transitioning all course evaluations from SmartEvals into Albert over the 2019–2020 academic year, joining the rest of the NYU academic community and providing a standardized experience for all of our students. Faculty and students should look below to locate the platform for their evaluations, or follow the link in the reminder emails.
- For undergraduate courses and graduate courses offered online, go to the Albert section.
- For graduate courses not offered online and any undergraduate course cross-listed with a graduate course, go to the SmartEvals section.
Albert Course Evaluations
NYU Steinhardt is transitioning all course evaluations from SmartEvals into Albert over the 2019–2020 academic year, joining the rest of the NYU academic community and providing a standardized experience for all of our students. The following courses are currently being evaluated in Albert:
- All undergraduate courses (except those that are cross-listed with graduate courses)
- All graduate online courses
SmartEvals Course Evaluations
All graduate courses and any cross-listed undergraduate courses, which are not offered online, are evaluated in the SmartEvals platform, which is accessed by the Steinhardt Course Evaluations Portal.
- To complete any outstanding evaluations within the evaluation period, log in on the left side of the Steinhardt Course Evaluations Portal using your NYU net ID and password.
- To view quantitative survey results for all courses from 2011 to Summer 2018 (undergraduate) or 2011 to Summer 2019 (graduate), log in on the right side of the Steinhardt Course Evaluations Portal using your NYU net ID and password.
To view upcoming course evaluations, add up to two additional questions, or look at results from previous semesters, log in to the left side of the Steinhardt Course Evaluations Portal.
Policies and Procedures
- Evaluations are anonymous such that student information cannot be linked to student responses. Student information in both Albert and the third-party platform SmartEvals are protected by the Federal Educational Rights and Policy Act (FERPA).
- Evaluations are open for differing amounts of time based on the length of the course.
- If a course lasts longer than 8 weeks, evaluations are typically open for 21 days.
- If a course lasts approximately 7 weeks, evaluations are typically open for 14 days.
- If a course is shorter than 7 weeks, evaluations are open for at least 7 days.
- While evaluation periods can be extended, they cannot be extended after the posting of final grades.
- Releasing results:
- Results will be released only for courses that have at least 5 students enrolled and receive at least 3 responses.
- Results of evaluations in Albert are made available to faculty once faculty submit all final grades.
- Results of evaluations in SmartEvals are made available once 95% of an academic department’s grades are posted.
- Evaluation results are released to department chairs once 95% of the grades across all of Steinhardt are posted.
- You can view a sample copy of the standardized questionnaire required.
Tutorials and Other Helpful Guides
Questions and Concerns
Please reach out to the Steinhardt Course Evaluations Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.