NYU A Cappella Choir is a small co-ed ensemble of 16-20 singers dedicated to the joy of a cappella singing. Challenging repertoire includes music from Renaissance to Rock and all things in between.
Who Can Join
All choruses are open to the NYU community (students, faculty, and staff) and community at large, by audition.
Auditions are taking place on the afternoon of Saturday, January 25, 2020 starting at 12:00 pm. If all the available times on Saturday are taken, we will continue hearing auditions on the afternoon of Sunday, January 26, 2020.
The audition will consist of
- A vocal solo, chosen by the singer. Please limit it to no more than 2 minutes in length. The song can be in any style and sung in any language. The song is expected to be sung with piano accompaniment; an accompanist will be provided. Please bring a score for the pianist (a photocopy is fine).
- Sight singing.
- Pitch matching and vocal range exercises
The only thing you need to bring to your audition is a score for the pianist.
NYU A Cappella Choir meets Wednesdays from 6:45 - 8:45pm.
Performances and Concerts
NYU A Cappella Choir presents one or two concerts each semester.
In recent years, the NYU A Cappella Choir has:
- Traveled with the NYU Jazz Choir to Japan for a concert tour in Tokyo, performing at Seisa University and the Hands on Tokyo Spring Charity Event, Remembering 3/11, in honor and memory of those who lost their lives in the Tsunami
- Performed a holiday program every year at Saks Fifth Avenue during the four Saturdays before Christmas
- Sung at the Salmagundi Arts Club, and other community arts organizations
- Performed at the 29th Annual Conference of the International Society of Music Education held in Beijing, China
- Sung in combined concert with the Yale University Madrigal Singers
- Together with the NYU Jazz Choir, traveled to the Middle East to perform 9 concerts at United Arab Emirates University, The University at Sharjah and NYU Abu Dhabi
- Performed at St. Joseph’s Church in Greenwich Village, with Nassim Al Saba, the choir from the American University of Sharjah
- Presented a concert tour throughout Prague, Czech Republic
Contact Paul Speiser, Coordinator of Choral Activities, at firstname.lastname@example.org