Skip to main content

Search NYU Steinhardt



MS, Occupational Therapy

Do I need to take the GRE?

The GRE is not required for admission to the professional master's program.

What is the minimum GPA?

While we do not have a minimum GPA requirement, our average is a 3.5 GPA.

When is the application deadline?

The MS application deadline is December 15th.

Applications should be received by this deadline, including applicants who have previously applied to the program. If you are reapplying, you must submit a new online application and resubmit all required application materials. 

What is the admission procedure?

Please follow the directions in the Office of Graduate Admissions’ MS Application Guide. Note that applicants will be assessed based on exposure to a variety of OT practice areas – these should be reflected in your resume and personal statement.

I have submitted my application to Graduate Admissions, how do I know if they received all of my materials?

Graduate Admissions will notify you directly if your application is incomplete. You can also check your application "checklist" to make sure everything was submitted.

How do I submit my updated transcript after I submit my application?

Please send materials to the Office of Graduate Admissions.

How many students are in each class?

Up to 54 students are accepted into the professional degree cohort. The Admissions Committee seeks a diverse mix of students representing a variety of ethnic, geographic, and economic backgrounds. We aim to admit a class that is the most academically promising, and whose varying perspectives will serve to enrich the occupational therapy community.

When will my admission decision be mailed?

Fall enrollment decisions are made from early February to the end of March. An official decision letter will be sent (via email) by the Steinhardt School's Office of Graduate Admissions.

How long does the MS take to complete?

The degree takes 2.5 to 3 years to complete full-time, which includes at least six months of full-time internship experience (Level II Fieldwork).

Can I attend on a part-time basis?

The MS is offered on a full-time basis only.

Must I have a specific undergraduate major to be accepted to the MS?

We welcome students of all undergraduate majors who have not previously studied occupational therapy. You must have earned a BA or BS degree (or the equivalent international credentials) in any field of study other than occupational therapy. Your application will be evaluated and reviewed based on its merits and in the context of the applicant pool for that year.

If you have a Bachelor’s in Occupational Therapy, please apply to our MA in Occupational Therapy degree.

What are the prerequisites?

The following prerequisite courses must be completed with a B- or higher:

  • Developmental Psychology (this course must cover the lifespan)
  • Abnormal Psychology (this course must cover the lifespan)
  • Behavioral Sciences (one additional course must be completed in either psychology, anthropology, or sociology).
  • Human Anatomy and Physiology I & II (with dissection lab). 
    • Please note: these courses must have been completed within the previous ten years in a classroom setting. Online and hybrid courses will not be accepted.
  • Elementary Statistics

Where can I take the prerequisites?

Prerequisites may be taken at any regionally accredited college or community college. Online courses in psychology, anthropology, sociology, and statistics are acceptable. Human Anatomy and Physiology must be taken in a classroom setting (online and hybrid courses will not be accepted). 

Course substitutions must first be approved by the Department (see contact information at the bottom of the page).

Can I apply before I have completed all the prerequisites?

Yes. If you are accepted or waitlisted, all prerequisites must be completed before classes begin in the fall. We recommend that you complete at least one science and two non-science prerequisite courses prior to applying.

How many volunteer hours do I need?

There is no set number of volunteer hours that you need to complete in order to be accepted into the program. However, it is important that you have been exposed to a variety of OT practice areas. These experiences should be included in your resume and personal statement.

Are there any additional vaccination requirements I should be aware of to attend the NYU OT program?

Students entering the Professional Program in Occupational Therapy should be aware that, as part of medical clearance for fieldwork placement, vaccinations such as those for Hepatitis B are required. Since some of these vaccinations may require multiple doses, students will be provided with this information upon acceptance to the program so they can begin the process as soon as possible to ensure they are cleared for fieldwork placement on time.

Will a criminal record impact the ability to become a licensed therapist?

Students entering the Professional Program in Occupational Therapy should be aware that a criminal record may impact a graduate's eligibility to take the certification examination or to obtain a state license. NBCOT requires a background check as part of the exam process. Occupational therapy students or prospective students who wish to have their background assessed should review the NBCOT Early Determination Process and request an Early Determination Review if desired.

In addition, applicants to our program should be aware that a criminal background check and fingerprinting may be required for Fieldwork level I and II placements and to obtain a state license.

For more information, you can contact NBCOT at 301-990-7979, or   

Do you offer this degree online (distance learning)?

Currently, the only degree we offer online is our Doctor of Occupational Therapy degree.

Where can I learn more about graduate housing?

Visit the NYU Graduate Housing site here.

Is it possible to tour NYU?

Sign up for a tour of NYU Steinhardt here.

How much does it cost to attend the occupational therapy program?

Current information about costs and tuition is available here.

How do I apply for financial aid?

You need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) if you wish to be considered for need-based scholarships and/or apply for federal or private loans. For more information, visit NYU Steinhardt's Office of Graduate Admissions website.

Is the occupational therapy program accredited?

The Professional MS in Occupational Therapy at New York University is fully accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE):

c/o Accreditation Department
American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA)
6116 Executive Boulevard, Suite 200
North Bethesda, MD 20852-4929
Phone: 301-652-6611 x2914
Fax: 301-652-7711

Where can I reach out with additional questions?

Please email