MA in Education and Social Policy

FAQ for Current Students

1.  Where can I find a syllabus for my course before class starts?

 Sometimes the syllabi are posted on our website under ‘Courses.'  If not, contact the faculty member directly.

2.  Albert won't let me register for courses outside of my department. What is the process for getting approval to register for courses in other departments/schools?

 Contact the administrator of the department where the course is offered and email the professor of the course directly.

 3. Where can I find an access code for a class?

Certain courses require special permission from an instructor, program, or department before a student may register. These courses have the symbol ">" appearing before the Course Call Number in the Class Schedule. Students who want to take one of these courses should contact Letizia La Rosa, the Department Administrator, at for the access code that will permit registration for the class.

4. Where can I find a course call number?

 The course call number is the five-digit number that appears in bold print before each section of a course in the Class Schedule. Call numbers are semester-specific and are used only on Albert to register for courses.

 Additionally, on the International Education website, course call numbers are posted on the website, under ‘Courses.'

 5. Do I need an MMR vaccine in order to register for classes?

 New York State law requires all students born on or after January 1, 1957, and taking 6 or more credits, to demonstrate immunity to measles, mumps, and rubella (German measles).

Immunization status is checked as part of the registration process, and failure to submit proof of immunization to the Student Health Center will prohibit students from registering for classes. Students who have not been immunized will be held at 6 credits or less and are not cleared for leave of absence until they have met the requirement.

New York State law also requires colleges and universities to distribute information about Meningococcal disease and vaccination to all students registered for 6 or more credits, whether they live on or off campus. All students registered for 6 or more credits are required to decide whether or not to be immunized for Meningitis and to provide formal confirmation of their decision. Failure to submit formal confirmation to the Student Health Center will prohibit students from registering for classes.

Call 212-443-1000, visit the Student Health Center (located at 726 Broadway)

6. Can I transfer credits from another university?

 Yes, you can transfer up to 6 credits from another university, as long as the credits were not used towards a terminal degree.  You need to submit a catalogue description of the course, including a syllabus, to the Program Director, Dr. Leanna Stiefel, at

 7. If I graduate in May, can I still study abroad the following summer?

 Yes, following one of two options:

 §   You can postpone graduation until September.  To do this, contact your academic adviser and ask them not to sign off on your ‘Graduation Clearance.'

 §   You can reapply as a non-matriculated student through the Admissions Office.   However, restrictions apply and you should contact Mark Perez in Steinhardt Student Services to reviews these restrictions (

 Note: You should also follow up with the Study Abroad Program to ensure restrictions will make this option possible.

8. How do I postpone graduation?

 Contact your academic adviser and ask them not to sign off on your ‘Graduation Clearance.'

9. What is maintenance and matriculation?

Maintenance and matriculation allows you to maintain an active NYU ID card and use NYU facilities without being enrolled in classes at NYU. 

Masters degree candidates must complete at least 3 credits each year or pay a maintenance fee of $300 plus registration and services fees for the academic year. All credits must be completed within six years from the date of matriculation. Contact Registration Services, Pless Hall, 2nd Floor, 998-5055, for additional information.

Registration procedures for maintenance of matriculation are the same as any credit-bearing course.

Students must be cleared and approved for Maintenance of Matriculation by the adviser as follows:  MAINT-GE 4747 Masters

There is a maximum of 2 semesters of maintenance of matriculation.


  10. How do I apply for full-time or half-time equivalency?

Equivalency credits can be granted only to students who are working on:

  • Fulfilling a required master's internship/clinical practice
  • Writing a master's thesis or preparing a final experience
  • Preparing for a doctoral candidacy examination
  • A doctoral dissertation topic
  • A doctoral dissertation  proposal
  • Doctoral dissertation research

The University defines full-time course work to be a minimum of 12 credits each term. To qualify for full-time equivalency you are expected to spend no less than 40 hours per week on a combination of course work and/or appropriate activity required by your department. For half-time students, a minimum of 6 credits or 20 hours per week is required. Equivalency may be granted only for the purposes of visas, student loans, student loan deferral, TAP and Veterans' Benefits requirements.

You are not eligible for equivalency if you are not registered for any credit bearing course work; therefore, students registered for a leave of absence, maintenance of matriculation or zero credit courses will not be considered for equivalency.

Financial aid is based on the actual number of credits for which you are enrolled rather than equivalency status. Scholarship eligibility requires a minimum of 12 registered credits. If you have any questions, please consult Financial Aid, 25 West 4 th Street, 212-998-4444, to determine your status.

International students are eligible for equivalency status to determine full-time study only from the categories listed on the reverse side of the form. International students who wish to pursue part-time study for any other reason must do so through the Office of Glboal Services 383 Lafayette Street, 212-998-4720.

Deadlines: May be submitted up through the third week of the semester. Equivalency is generally posted in the month preceding the start of the semester:

  • Fall Semester - July
  • Spring Semester - November
  • Summer Semester - May

Signatures: The adviser's signature is required at all times along with the appropriate dean's designee as identified on the form. Final approval by the Registration Services or Graduate Study is required.

Download a Full- or Half-Time Equivalency form from the Student Affaris website.

 11. How do I register for classes in another school such as Wagner?

First, contact you adviser for approval for the course you'd like to take, regardless if it's posted on the website.  Then, fill out this registration request form for Wagner course cross-registration. 

 12. Can I take classes at Columbia University or another school in New York City?

 Yes.  However, these credits are treated as transfer credits (see #6 above).  After receiving approval for the course from your adviser, you must complete the paperwork applicable for transferring credits.  Note: If you transfer in credits during your final semester in the program, there is a possibility that the deadline for grades at NYU differs from the deadline at the school in which you took the course.  This can be problematic if you are planning on graduating that semester and, to do so, your grades need to be in by a certain date.  Please check with the outside university to ensure their deadlines will not delay your graduation.

 13.  Can I audit classes?

 Yes, although the cost for the course is the same as if you enrolled for credit.  First contact the instructor for permission.  Second, register for the course and pay the full price.  Finally, file for an audit request with the Registrar - this must be done within the first week of the semester.

 14. How do I take a medical leave of absence? How do I take a non-medical leave of absence?

An official leave of absence indicates that a student has been granted permission to maintain matriculation without registering for course work. A leave of absence and an extension to a leave of absence, as well as a return from a leave of absence, are requested through the Office of the Associate Dean for Student Affairs and require adviser approval. All requests for health-related leaves of absence must be accompanied by appropriate documentation. A leave may be granted for up to a maximum of two semesters (fall and spring). Students on a leave of absence are not eligible for University housing or the use of University facilities during the period of the leave. A leave of absence must be requested prior to the start of the semester in which the leave is to be taken. Leaves of absence are not granted after the third week of the semester.

A request for a leave of absence after the third week of the semester will be reviewed on an individual basis by the Director of Counseling and Student Services, in consultation with the Associate Dean for Student Affairs. Leaves of absence adhere to the University's refund schedule and may affect academic progress, financial aid, graduation deadlines, housing status, and/or visa requirements. Students should review such issues with a counselor during the leave interview, with their academic adviser, and/or by contacting the appropriate office.

Students taking a leave must also fill out the withdrawal from on the Registrar's website.

 15. How do I take a leave of absence after a semester has begun?

During the first nine weeks of the semester, you can withdraw from classes following the refund schedule posted on Steinhardt Registration Services.  After nine weeks, if you take a leave of absence, a ‘leave' is placed on your transcript and you will not receive any reimbursement for the course.   For procedures on taking a leave of absence, see Q#16.

 16. How many credits do I need to take to be considered a full-time student?

Different schools at NYU have different credit requirements for part-time and full-time status.  At Steinhardt NYU, part-time status consists of a six credit course load, while full-time status consists of a minimum of twelve credits.

 17. How do I switch status from full-time student to part-time student?

 Contact the Admissions Office and Financial Aid to inform them of your status change.

 18. What is the maximum number of credits I can take in any given semester?

 In the fall and spring semesters, you can take up to 18 credits.  In the summer, you can take up to 16 credits.  If you'd like to take more than 18 credits (with a maximum of 20 credits), you need approval from your department and the Steinhardt Office of Registration Services by filing a Course Permission Form.

 19. Does my financial aid package change if I become a part-time student after being a full-time student?

 Yes.  Contact Financial Aid for details.

20.  Can my financial aid package be applied to winter or summer sessions?

 No.  The winter session is included in the spring financial aid allotment.  In the summer session, scholarships are not an option and, as such, only loans can be used to cover tuition.

 21. How do I add/drop a course? How do I withdraw from a course?

 Departmental Academic Advisement is provided to help students understand academic program requirements and to assist them with course selection. By approval and signature, the adviser holds the responsibility for students' program requirements and course selection and attests to the courses selected as meeting degree requirements. Without adviser approval, courses added or dropped may be considered as not meeting degree requirements.

No change in course schedule is valid unless it is reported to the Office of the University Registrar, the School's Office of Registration Services, and the Office of the Bursar on the required forms. Change of Program forms may be obtained from the program administrators and advisers or from the Office of Registration Services, Pless Hall, 2nd Floor.

Students are permitted to add to their program during the first two weeks of regular classes. A student wishing to add an additional course to the program during the third week of classes must have the approval of the instructor. Beyond the end of the third week of classes, a student may not add a course.

Students may withdraw formally from a course during the first three weeks of the fall or spring term or within the first three days of any summer session without having that course appear on the transcript. If a student withdraws formally from a course from the beginning of the fourth week through the ninth week of the fall or spring term, the course will be recorded on the transcript with a grade of W. A student may not withdraw from a course after the ninth week of the fall or spring term or the last week of any summer session. Review the refund schedule prior to dropping a course.

 22. Can I request more work student funds?

 Contact Financial Aid.

 23. How do I find a work study job?

 You can contact the NYU Career Wasserman Center to review the available resources or contact offices at NYU directly inquiring about available positions. 

 24. Do I need to meet with my adviser every semester in order to register?

 After your first semester in the International Education Program, it is advisable to meet with your adviser to discuss your remaining coursework.

 25. Aside from Albert, is there an online course directory?

 Yes, on the registrar's website.

 26. If I take an "incomplete" in a course, how long do I have to complete the remaining coursework?

All coursework must be completed within six months of receiving an IP (incomplete pass) or IF (incomplete fail).

27. How do I get on a waitlist for a course?

 Most courses have an electronic waitlist, which will appear in Albert when you register for the course.  If not, contact the department administrator of the course you want to enroll in.

28. I've been waitlisted for a course.  How and when will I know if I've been enrolled in the course?

 Students are automatically added by Albert from the electronic waitlist to the course.  As such, students should check their schedules on a regular basis to see if the course has been added to their scheduled permanently, once they are removed from the list.  You will not receive an electronic notification.

 29. What do I need to do in order to graduate? When do I need to decide what semester I will graduate?

You need to apply for graduation through Albert by submitting the online form.  You will receive an email from Graduation Services prior to the semester in which you will graduate with more information.

In order to graduate in a specific semester, you must apply for graduation within the application deadline period ( It is recommended that you apply for graduation no later than the beginning of the semester in which you plan to complete all program requirements. Waiting to receive end of term comprehensive exams, thesis or final project results, before you apply for graduation, would result in a delay in your graduation date.

If you do not successfully complete all academic requirements by the end of the semester, you must reapply for graduation for the following cycle.

30. Is there a graduation ceremony for fall graduates?

No.  Fall graduates are invited to attend the ceremony during the following spring semester in May.

 31. I will graduate in September or December.  Can I walk in the preceding May commencement ceremony? 

No.  Fall graduates are invited to attend the ceremony during the following spring semester in May.

 32. When will I receive my diploma? Can I pick it up?

Diplomas are mailed to students after the degree is awarded.  For more information on how to pick up your diploma in person, visit the Graduation Services website.