Frequently Asked Questions

For general questions about your application, please read the Admissions Application Guide.

Can I have the application fee waived?

The NYU Steinhardt Office of Graduate Admissions handles fee waiver requests. Please review the Policy on Application Fee Waivers to determine how to properly request a fee waiver.

Is an interview required for admissions?

Interviews (in person or via video conference) are required for the doctoral program and will be scheduled by the admissions committee.

What is the application deadline?

Please note: We are suspending applications for Fall 2019 admission while the faculty are conducting a review of the program. 

MA and Dual MA program: January 4.

PhD program (fall only): December 1.

What should I do if I want to learn more? Can you mail an information packet to my home address?

We do not send materials via mail. Up-to-date and complete information about the Education and Jewish Studies programs is available on our website. If you have additional questions after reviewing our website, please email with your questions.

I would like to visit campus and attend a class. How can I do this?

Please email and we will be happy to assist you in setting up a campus visit.

What materials are required in the application(s)?

Please refer to the NYU Steinhardt Graduate Application Guide to see what is required for each program.

Is there funding available for international students?

Visit NYU Financial Aid and NYU OGS Financial Aid Information pages for additional information.

How much will tuition and fees cost?

NYU Steinhardt tuition and fees are updated online each year.

Dual MA students take courses in both schools each semester, but will spend part of their academic careers paying tuition and fees in Steinhardt and part in GSAS.

Are scholarships available?

Yes. Information about scholarships for each of our programs is listed on the Education and Jewish Studies website. Information on scholarships is listed on the Steinhardt website for financial aid.

All applicants who are interested in being considered for school-based scholarships MUST complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by going to and submitting it electronically to NYU. Detailed instructions can be found on the Graduate Admissions web pages at The deadline for having submitted the form to NYU is February 1. Please note that the earliest time you can access the form is January 1.

Do I have to have a degree or background in education and/or Jewish studies to be admitted to the program?

For the MA programs, you do not need a background in education or Jewish studies to be admitted. While some of our students do have a background in these areas, others do not and use this experience to prepare for a career change into the field of Jewish education.

For the PhD program, background in one or both of these areas is recommended.

Can I do this program online?

The Education and Jewish Studies programs must be taken in New York City at NYU’s campus.

Is it possible to do the program part-time? Our PhD and Dual MA programs are full-time, but it is possible to do the Steinhardt MA on a part-time basis.

Where do I send the paper application and/or supplementary materials, such as letters of recommendation and transcripts?

All your application materials, including your transcript, should be uploaded to the online application system. If you have any questions regarding the online application, please contact the admissions office.

Is the GRE required for my application(s)?

Yes. Both NYU Steinhardt and GSAS require a GRE score from a test taken within the past five years.

Can I submit the same recommendations to NYU Steinhardt and GSAS for the Dual MA?

You may submit the same three recommendations with each application, but you are welcome to use different recommendations for the two different applications. Please note that at least two of your GSAS recommendations must be academic.

Can I submit the same application to NYU Steinhardt and GSAS for the Dual MA?

You should tailor each application to each school. The NYU Steinhardt application should focus on your interest in professional development and skill-building as an educator, whereas your GSAS application should highlight your interest in research and the academic study of the field of Hebrew and Judaic Studies.

If I want to apply to the Dual MA, can I just submit an application to NYU Steinhardt?

No. Applicants to the Dual MA program must submit an application to NYU Steinhardt and to the Graduate School of Arts and Science.

How should I apply?

You should apply online through the NYU Steinhardt online application and the Graduate School of Arts and Science online application is available at the NYU GSAS Application Resource Center.