BA in Education Studies

Current Students: Frequently Asked Questions

Current Students: Frequently Asked Questions

Can I take classes outside of Steinhardt?

Yes, you may take your electives from other schools at NYU, including the School of Arts and Sciences, Stern School of Business, and the Gallatin School of Individualized Study. Students must meet with an adviser to determine which non-Steinhardt courses are available to them.

Are all students required to study abroad? Can I waive out of this requirement?

All students in the Education Studies major are required to study abroad. Exceptions to the study abroad requirement may be made on an individual basis, upon permission from the Director of Undergraduate Studies If you transferred into the program after your sophomore year, then you may be eligible to waive this requirement.

If you are concerned with financing your study abroad trip, please refer to our Study Abroad page, which includes links to important financial aid information.

As an Education Studies major, you will work closely with an adviser to plan your study away experience.

What can I do with a degree in Education Studies?

See a list of jobs this program prepares you for on our Careers page.

What can I minor in? How do I apply for a minor?

See a list of all NYU minors.

Students should meet with their adviser in order to choose an appropriate minor.

In order to apply for non-Steinhardt minor, you must complete the Minor Application, which is available in the dropdown menu of your Albert Student Center.

To apply for a Steinhardt-based minor, you must use the Minor Declaration form which is available through your home department or the Steinhardt Office of Student Affairs (Pless Hall, 2nd Floor).

Who is my adviser, and how does advising work?

Your academic adviser is Jamie Remmers. Please contact Jamie if you have questions about the following things: course registration, planning your program of study, looking for jobs and internships, on- and off-campus resources, disciplinary matters, and more. You are required to meet with Jamie before registering for your classes each semester.

You are also welcome to discuss their program of study with Professor Carol Anne Spreen, who is the director of Undergraduate Studies.

How do I register for classes?

You will register for classes online through your Student Center. This can be accessed on NYUHome.

Students are required to meet with an adviser before registering for classes each semester. Please pay attention to important notices and deadlines sent to you by your adviser.

Where can I find an internship?

See a list of possible internships sites for students in the Education Studies BA program. Note that this list is not comprehensive.

The Wasserman Center for Career Development also offers numerous resources for finding internships and jobs.

Can I double major?

Yes, students in the Education Studies program are able to double major. If you are interested in a double major, please contact your academic adviser. A double major is subject to approval of your academic adviser and the Director of Undergraduate Studies.

Depending on your choice of double major, students may need credits beyond the 128 credits required for the bachelor’s degree.

To apply for a double major, you must fill out the Double Major Declaration form. This may also be obtained from the Office of Registration Services, on the 2nd floor of Pless Hall.

Can I take courses pass/fail?

Students in Education Studies can take up to 24 credits of their non-major courses on a pass/fail basis. No major courses may be taken pass/fail. Students are required to meet with an academic adviser to discuss this option and obtain their adviser’s signature. Download the Pass/Fail form and fill out ALL personal and course information. The form must be returned to the Steinhardt Registrar before the ninth week of the semester (5th class meeting during summer session).

Please see our advising page for more information.

Do I need a minimum GPA to be in the major?

Education Studies majors are expected to maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 in order to make satisfactory academic progress. Academic progress is reviewed each semester and students who are not making satisfactory progress will have their records reviewed by the Steinhardt Faculty Committee on Student Progress (COSP).


If you have a question that is not listed here or anywhere else on our website, please contact