Can I get a research assistantship?

Research assistantships are typically only open to Ph.D. students, not Master's students; frequently they are awarded as part of the admissions package, but otherwise would be advertised to current students via program mailing lists or the Steinhardt Department of Research and Doctoral Studies. Very rarely, students may get research assistantships in other programs or departments; these would also typically be reserved for Ph.D. students. There are no directories of assistantships; we recommend subscribing to relevant department mailing lists and introducing yourself to relevant faculty in other departments (for instance, if your prior background is in chemistry, you might contact the chemistry department).