PhD in Teaching and Learning
Focus on Science and Environmental Education
The PhD in Teaching and Learning prepares you for a career as a researcher or teacher educator. This doctoral program has a focus on Science and Environmental Education and prepares you to conduct research in science and environmental education at the elementary, secondary, and post-secondary levels. You will work closely with faculty on all aspects of the research process.
What you'll learn
- Strategies for designing and analyzing research studies in science and environmental education
- Qualitative and quantitative research methods
- Current issues in science pedagogy, teacher education, curriculum, and integration of educational technology
How you'll learn
Research Methods Courses
Take courses designed to prepare you for all aspects of the research process, including developing and designing a research proposal, implementing a research agenda, and disseminating findings. You will gain mastery of a wide range of qualitative and quantitative research methods.
A Community of Scholars
As a graduate student in our program, you will be accepted into a supportive learning community. Our faculty work closely with College of Arts and Sciences faculty in math and science, so you'll have opportunities to draw on content knowledge and pedagogical expertise from a diverse range of sources.
Collaborate with Faculty on Shared Research Interests
Our faculty are conducting research on pressing contemporary issues in science education. Faculty interests include:
- The role of inquiry in science classrooms
- Student understandings of science and how this understanding should shape teaching
- The role of co-generative dialogue, student voice, and democratic practice in enhancing student engagement with science
- The use of technology in science classrooms; professional development of science teachers, teacher-educators, researchers, and scientifically knowledgeable administrators
- Improving access and success of low-income minority students in science education and careers
- Formal and non-formal education for environmental awareness and conservation
- Multiple ways of knowing environment and nature
Learn more about our faculty:
How to apply
See application requirements and deadlines for the PhD program in Teaching and Learning. Please indicate your specific interest in Science and Environmental Education on your application.
Prepare for a career as a
- Researcher or teacher educator in science and environmental education in colleges and universities
- Science education specialist in governmental agencies, non-governmental organizations, and multi-national corporations