Pre-2012 Education Minors

Effective Fall 2012, students may no longer declare the General Education Minor or any of the Secondary Education Minors.  These minors have been replaced by the Minor in Teacher Education and the Minor in Global and Urban Education Studies.

If you have already declared the General Education Minor or one of the Secondary Education Minors, do not despair -- this archived website provides information on those minors, including course requirements.

The General Education and Secondary Education Minors are designed for students who are specifically interested in teaching children or adolescents in elementary or secondary schools or related settings.  These minors fulfill some of the requirements for teacher certification and enable students to complete their master's degree in teacher education in only 12 months of additional post-baccalaureate study. 

Why become a teacher?

Among the careers you can choose, teaching has one of the best futures. No other career offers you so much diversity and so many options. You can select the age group you would like to work with - from youngsters in preschool or elementary school to teenagers or adult learners - and the subject you would like to teach.

Within the teaching profession, you will always find opportunities to grow as your goals change. You may decide to specialize in teaching students with disabilities or gifted youngsters, or to make your impact outside the classroom as a school administrator or educational consultant, a parent advocate or program evaluator. You may decide to pursue a totally different career - in counseling, social work, medicine or law - or someday become a university professor in your field. Teaching skills are also highly marketable assets for positions in museums, hospitals, children's book publishing or television, corporate training programs, and human resources. In fact, an education background is an excellent foundation for any career.

The General Education Minor is open to College of Arts and Science, Gallatin, School of Social Work, Steinhardt, Stern and Tisch undergraduate students. The Secondary Education Minors are designed with College of Arts and Science students in mind, but other students at NYU with appropriate content backgrounds may possibly be able to declare a minor in one of these areas. 

Minors in Science Education and Mathematics Education are also offered specifically for Yeshiva University students.

Choose a Minor
How can Steinhardt's Education Minors help you get started?

You can explore or prepare to join this rewarding profession by taking advantage of these official minors offered through the Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development.

General Education Minor

The General Education Minor helps you learn about the teaching profession while you learn valuable skills. Because we work so closely with our city's schools, we can take you inside to really see and experience what teaching is all about.

Secondary Education Minors

The Secondary Education Minors in English, mathematics, social studies, science (biology, chemistry, physics), and foreign language enable you to complete coursework as an undergraduate in CAS that will reduce the number of credits required for a corresponding NYU Steinhardt masters degree that would fulfill the requirements for Initial teacher certification. The masters' degree would require 30-31 credits, including student teaching internships, which can be completed in an accelerated 12-month format.

New York City Teaching Fellows

If you plan on applying to the New York City Teaching Fellows upon completion of your bachelors degree, please be advised that you will be considered ineligible for the fellowship if you have completed seventeen or more college credits in teacher education or have a minor in education before beginning training with in the fellowship. Please visit the New York City Teaching Fellows website at for details and eligibility requirements.

No time to complete an entire minor?

If you are unable to complete a teacher education minor in its entirety and thus unable to formally declare it, you can still chose to complete one, two or more of the courses and still get a head start on your masters degree.