Accelerated BA/MA Teacher Education Programs

Frequently Asked Questions

The CAS Accelerated BA/MA Teacher Education Programs website has answers to many questions about the pre-application process and deadlines, eligibility, and course registration while you are a CAS student.

What is a dual-degree program?

A dual-degree program enables you to work toward two different or related degrees in parallel so that you are able to complete the requirements for both degrees in less time than it would take you to earn them separately. 

For these dual BA/MA Teacher Education programs, you're able to take some of the courses required for the master's degree while you are still an undergraduate. Doing so saves you both time – you have fewer graduate credits to complete for the MA after you finish your bachelor's degree – and money. Since you have fewer graduate credits to complete, your total tuition for the graduate portion of the dual-degree program will be less than it would be if you completed the MA program separately.

Why should I pursue a dual degree in teacher education? 

If you know you want to become a teacher after you graduate from college, you'll save both time and money by pursuing this accelerated dual-degree teacher education program. Learn more about the advantages of pursuing a dual degree in teacher education

Why should I become a teacher?

Teachers change lives for the better and uplift communities, develop skills to assume leadership roles in schools and a variety of other settings, share their passions about the subjects they love, and build their own futures by pursuing opportunities for professional development and growth. Learn more about why you should become a teacher

If I've already been admitted to the dual-degree track through the pre-application, why do I have to apply for admission to Steinhardt?

Admission through the pre-application to CAS enables you to register for graduate courses in teacher education while you are a junior or senior in CAS. Being admitted to one of the dual-degree teacher education tracks does not guarantee your admission to the master's degree. You must get a B or better in these graduate courses, maintain a 3.0 GPA or better in your other coursework, and show evidence of continued interest in urban education and potential to become an effective teacher. When you're in your last semester of study at CAS, we ask you to confirm your commitment to completing the dual-degree program by submitting your formal application to the Steinhardt Office of Graduate Admissions. 

When is the formal application to Steinhardt due?

For formal admission to NYU Steinhardt master's in teacher education program, seniors who have completed or are in the process of completing a Teacher Education track must additionally submit the Steinhardt graduate application. Please refer to the application page of Steinhardt's Accelerated BA/MA Teacher Education Program website for application instructions and deadlines.

I have questions about teacher certification (types of certification, reciprocity with other states, how long it lasts, and the like). How can I find out more? 

Steinhardt's teacher certification website has more information about teacher certification. For all questions and concerns related to NYU Steinhardt certification programs not addressed in these pages, please contact:

Mark J. Perez
Certification Officer
NYU Steinhardt
82 Washington Square East, Room 229
New York, New York 10003