Internship Review

A big part of our program is the opportunity we have to include internships into our schedules! Check out some internship reviews from our current students below:

Abbey Keyes (Sophomore)

Company Name: Paradigm
What They Do: Talent Agency
Semesters Interned: One (Spring)

Pros:
-Really hands-on experience, truly taking part in the business and the work
-They have shadow sessions, which basically means you shadow another department in the agency like brand partnerships, tour marketing, business affairs, talent/lit etc, so you can see all the different parts of an agency.
-Really dedicated to creating a well-rounded experience for you as an intern and helping you learn
-Paid

Cons:
Not totally a con, but it is a more intense internship, you’re busy all the time and it can be stressful. So, it depends on what you’re looking for.
Company Culture: The company culture is friendly overall. Everyone enjoys being around each other and are friends. Your bosses will really want you to learn. There are other parts of the agency that are really intense and can be intimidating.

Project/Fun Fact:
The coolest project I’ve worked on is doing a Visa Itinerary. What that means is when you book an American tour for a non-American artist, you essentially have to prove to the government why they should grant this artist a visa to tour. That includes gathering different flyers of them headlining, different press to show their relevance, but also routing out three years of their tours. This project is super helpful because it forces you to think as an agent would have to in routing these tours around the country.

Olivia Johnson (Junior)

Company Name: Reservoir Media
What They Do: Independent Music Publisher
Semesters Interned: One (Summer)

Pros:
Interns get a lot of direct work with the catalog, and are given a lot of “real” work. Coffee runs and the like were not intern responsibilities at Reservoir. The focus was always on providing interns with real work experience in addition to learning experience.

Cons:
The internship was unpaid, which I don’t think anybody really likes. That being said, it’s way better to have an unpaid internship where you actually learn, work, and acquire useful skills for the industry.

Company Culture:
Reservoir was a really positive work environment for me. The open office floor plan makes it very easy to communicate between departments, and the rapport between employees makes it feel less intimidating than the typical corporate office you might picture. It did feel a little intimidating at first, because there are so many comfortable, established relationships in existence, but for anyone willing to strike up a conversation with someone, ask questions, and engage outside of their department, I think this is a great relationship-building company.

Coolest Project:
I signed an NDA my first day at Reservoir, so I can’t disclose anything revolutionary, but I definitely had a lot of fun familiarizing myself with a very diverse catalog. And 2Chainz. I know so many 2Chainz songs now.

Bre Byrd (Junior)

Company Name: MAC Presents
What They Do: Music Sponsorship and Activation Agency
Semesters Interned: 2 (summer and spring)

Pros:
Though MAC is a small agency, they have great connections with industry big shots like Cara Lewis. Because of this, they do a lot of work with her roster… and sometimes Metro Boomin or Taylor Bennett will casually walk into the office as you’re eating lunch. Along with this, MAC’s small nature makes the ability for interns to get face time with full time employees very high. We often work with them one on one to complete research for daily projects. Lastly, occasionally you may get the opportunity to work events – but it isn’t guaranteed.

Cons:
The internship is unpaid – but that’s not much of a surprise. Another unfortunate downside can be found in the fact that because the company is so small, the number of hiring positions after graduation is likely small as well.

Company Culture:
Relatively laid back; agencies are heavily project/client- based so that means some days interns are doing extensive research into a brand and all past music campaigns they’ve done in recent history. But sometimes, interns are just reading music blogs and advertising publications to keep up to date on industry trends for a good portion of the day.

Coolest Project:
I signed an NDA so I can’t fully say but it involved the love of my life, Chance the Rapper.

Hayden Sitomer (Senior)

Company name: Ground Control Touring
What They Do: Boutique Booking Agency
Semesters Interned: One (Spring)

Pros:
Laid back work environment, really welcoming coworkers, you learn a ton about the touring industry, a great opportunity to make connections, you get to hear unreleased albums, *free* concert tickets!
Cons:
You are asked to intern 2-3 full days a week, fast-paced environment (but in a good, challenging way!)

Company Culture:
Collaborative, casual, tastemakers, young.

Coolest Project/Fun Fact:
There are often ~dogs~ in the office!!

Chrissy Payne (Junior)

Company Name: Two Sheps that Pass
What They Do: Boutique PR and Marketing
Semesters Interned: One (Spring)

Pros:
If you say there’s a certain thing you want to work on/client you want to work with, they’re cool with it; they reimburse you for travel fares and lunch, they take interest in you as a person since it’s such a small business
Cons:
Lots of copying/pasting emails (gets really tedious really quickly); if there’s not a lot of clients on at the moment, you get kinda stuck twiddling your thumbs because there’s nothing to do; the office space is very small with no windows

Company Culture:
Very laid back and intimate. Vera (the owner) is a pretty cool lady who takes interest in what’s going on in your life. They’re very flexible about working around any issues that pop up with coming in. They all want to make sure you’re having a good time.

Coolest Project/Fun Fact:
Right now we’re working with Peter Buffett (son of Warren Buffett), who’s put out this super political album, so that’s pretty cool. I scored him an interview with a writer at Forbes. Fun fact: Two Sheps was behind the RuPaul Collectible Dolls!

Tara Muoio (Senior)

Company Name: Warner Music Group – Warner Classics & Erato
What They Do: Major Label
Semesters Interned: One (Spring)

Pros:
Every intern gets a semester project that they work on independently. Because I’m a marketing and sales intern, mine is a mock marketing plan for an upcoming release that I’m going to present to my supervisor/executives at the end of my semester. It’s really cool to have something tangible to work with and be creative with that’s totally my own.

Cons:
There’s a lot of red tape surrounding what an intern can do at Warner (or maybe it’s just my department). I’m not allowed to run phones or interface with press contacts via email, for example, which is some general office experience that I think could be valuable.