Senior Spotlight: Andy Golden

Where are you from?

Just outside of New Orleans, Louisiana.

What is your background in music?

Music has always been a part of my life. I started taking piano lessons when I was 5. My parents were always surprised when I would walk inside after a car ride, go to the piano, and pick out the melody to a song that was just on the radio. I sang in the church choir and was a cantor for a few years. In high school I joined the drumline and was an All-State percussionist.

Why did you decide to come to NYU?

It was a combination of many things. My high school put together a college run my sophomore year and we visited 12 colleges in 10 days, including NYU. With that trip, I knew I needed to go to a university in a big city even though I didn’t know what I wanted to major in. I grew up working in the film industry and was always fascinated with what was going on behind the scenes. As I got older, I wanted to go behind the scenes of the music business. When I decided to get a degree in music business, I researched many programs, but the Steinhardt program kept coming out on top.

Who are some of your favorite musical artists?

Honestly my musical taste depends on the day! My favorite by far are Stromae and Mika. But I grew up listening to classic rock and country music. I can still sing along word-for-word to songs by Styx, Van Halen, Steve Miller Band, REO Speedwagon, Dixie Chicks, and Brooks & Dunn. Recently, I’ve been jamming out to Andra Day, Alex Vargas, The Dig, Yuna, Royal Teeth, and The Griswolds.

Do you have any musical guilty pleasures?

Guilty pleasures means I’m ashamed to admit it, but I will completely own my childhood obsession with LeAnn Rimes still exists to this day. I also have a weakness for classical and chamber music, especially anything with an organ.

What have been some of your favorite music business classes/professors in your time here?

Professor Blakeman’s publishing class was probably my favorite. It’s the class that really connected with me and proved the publishing industry is where I want to go with my career. Another class I really enjoyed was Professor Howard-Spink’s International Music Business Marketplace. After my experience studying abroad in Paris, I was able to really appreciate all the course material in a new way. But some of my fondest memories of this program come from the Concert Management class. We took it our freshman year and this is where we all bonded and really got to know each other for the first time. We were lucky enough to have Marcie Allen as our professor and the real-world examples she brought to the course were empowering and unparalleled.

Have you had any really cool music-related moments in New York?

All the time, especially due to my internships. I was able to obtain unforgettable access at the 2014 Global Citizen Festival, and also go to one of Billy Joel’s Madison Square Garden concerts, as well as numerous showcases for up-and-coming clients and industry events such as the NMPA Annual Meeting, Billboard Touring Conference, and Nielsen’s pre-Grammy party.

What was your best Internship?

That’s like asking a parent to pick a favorite child. I had such varied experiences at each one it’s hard to compare them at all. I think I learned the most working at Round Hill Music, I had some incredible experiences with MAC Presents, and I had my greatest professional growth at Atlas Music Publishing.

What is your dream job?

I’m currently working at Atlas Music Publishing and I feel like I’m at the center of the music business. Almost every aspect in the industry interacts with publishing at some point. Just having this type of universal outlook is what I want to continue with.

Are you leaving the program with different career aspirations than you had when you entered the program?

Absolutely! When I first came here, I had no idea what I wanted to do and where I would end up. Just being open to all the opportunities and connections available is one of the reasons I think this program offers the best professional education for the music business.

What is your advice for any incoming freshmen or transfer students to the program?

Be open to every opportunity available, but take your time. Enjoy your college years, but use them to your advantage. You’re in the center of New York City! Enjoy the marathon that is New York University. Don’t treat it like a sprint. Also, don’t be afraid to ask for help in any situation. It’s better to take your time to ask questions and succeed than rush and fail multiple times. Just do what you can to enjoy your time here