Senior Spotlight: Erin Simon

Where are you from?

Originally from Long Island, just 40 minutes outside of Manhattan.

What is your background in music?

I studied classical voice for about 7 years through middle and high school, but even before that my mom was an actively performing musician and my dad was working in radio during my childhood. I started going to concerts at the ripe age of 4 and I haven’t stopped since.

Why did you decide to come to NYU?

I went to a little summer program here called What Makes A Star after my junior year of high school and that made the  decision pretty clear. Also, Blair Waldorf went here, so…

Who are some of your favorite musical artists?

Always changing, but Bon Iver, Marina & the Diamonds, and Hunter Hayes consistently make my list.

Do you have any musical guilty pleasures?

I can’t even call it a guilty pleasure because I’m so outspoken about my deep love of boy bands. Don’t talk to me about One Direction unless you really want to talk for a while!

What have been some of your favorite music business classes/professors in your time here?

Like everyone else, I adore Professor Blakeman’s Publishing class. But my favorite class of all time would have to be Concert Management – our freshman class is the only one that got the honor of having Marcie Allen teach it, and she ended up playing a huge role in the rest of my college career as both an internship boss and personal role model.

Have you had any really cool music-related moments in New York?

I met Justin Timberlake my sophomore year. Thanks GRAMMY U!

How did your time studying in Sydney affect your view on the music industry and what did you learn about the industry in Australia?

It definitely made me appreciate just how many artists tour here in the US, for one thing – it’s really hard for international artists to tour Australia between visas and how far the continent is from everywhere else! So when artists are able to get over there, they bring them all at once and put them on festival dates through the summer and fall. A lot of the music that’s popular here is also popular over there, but Australians generally have a lot of pride in their nationality, so you’ll also see heavy support of their home artists reflected in their radio charts.

What was your best Internship?

That’s tough. I’m going to tie my two semesters at MAC Presents with my two semesters as the GRAMMY U Rep for New York since both taught me way too much to choose one over the other.

What is your dream job?

Start my own nonprofit organization dedicated to supporting and advocating for young musicians and their education.

Are you leaving the program with different career aspirations than you had when you entered the program?

100%. I started thinking I wanted to be a tour manager. But then I realized my greatest passion is mentoring younger students, and I totally changed my trajectory.

What is your advice for any incoming freshmen or transfer students to the program?

Don’t be afraid to ask for help, and don’t be afraid to change your mind. This industry is amazing and there is so much opportunity, so don’t let anyone tell you there isn’t. Choose the path that makes sense for you and own it.