New Book by Music Business Professor Catherine Fitterman Radbill

Introduction to the Music Industry: An Entrepreneurial Approach is the title of the just-released textbook by Professor Catherine Fitterman Radbill. Radbill is the director of the Undergraduate Music Business Program and has taught for 10 years at NYU.

“I needed a text to use in our Business Structure of the Music Industry course, the introductory class I’ve been teaching since I got to NYU in 2002,” explains Radbill. “Every year it became more difficult to find upbeat and fun teaching material. The books on the market were either boring tomes, out of date, or completely out of touch with the way students today learn. So – I wrote my own textbook!” The book’s cover, showing an entrepreneurial goldfish jumping from a crowded bowl into an empty bowl, is an apt metaphor for the engaging material within it.

Radbill was approached four years ago by senior editor Constance Dietzel, from the highly-regarded academic press Routledge/Taylor & Francis Group, about the possibility of writing a textbook that focused on music entrepreneurship. “Constance lived in my Washington Heights neighborhood at the time, and we met often over dinner to hammer out the details of the book,” Radbill states. “It was fun, but then I had to get down to the job of actually writing the thing.”

In the book’s acknowledgements, Radbill acknowledges Dietzel, “…who wisely rejected my first book proposal and who performed wonders with the second.” Radbill laughs about those rejections now, but “they were pretty devastating at the time. I stayed depressed for about a day, then got back to the computer to revise, and revise, and revise…”

Introduction to the Music Industry: An Entrepreneurial Approach gives a realistic, relevant spin on the classic introductory text. Every chapter explores the inner workings of the music industry, all the while reminding students to think like entrepreneurs. Using creative problem-solving exercises, discussion questions, collaborative projects, case studies, hands-on activities, and inspiring stories of actual music entrepreneurs, the textbook offers numerous opportunities for students to apply their newfound entrepreneurial knowledge to real life situations. The textbook’s companion website offers additional materials to create enhanced teaching and learning experiences.

Radbill states, “I feel as if I’ve been holding my breath for 3 years, waiting to see if my students would like the textbook. They’re my toughest critics. We’ve been using it for 3 weeks now in class, and so far I see a lot of smiles in the classroom. What a relief!”

Click here for more information on the book.

Posted on | This entry was posted in Faculty. Bookmark the permalink.