Welcoming Jason Menkes, Clinical Assistant Professor

The Music Business Program welcomes Jason Menkes as our newest faculty member. Jason has a longstanding relationship with the program as he earned his M.A. in Music Business from NYU in 2004. Since his graduation, Jason has been dedicated to the strategy, creation, and implementation of music for branding an advertising campaigns. He is co-founder and partner of COPILOT Strategic Music & Sound (www.copilotmusic.com) and was recently appointed the East Coast Chapter President for the Association of Music Producers (AMP). We are excited to have Jason on our team and value his experience in branding as an increasingly relevant licensing opportunity for artists and musicians.

VeloCity recently sat down with Professor Menkes to get a closer look into his advice for music business students and how he got his start in the industry.

Why did you decide to work in the music industry?

When I started my first band, in the second grade, I made my friends sign a contract promising to come practice and not to fight or run away… we had some teasing issues. I’ve been interested in the balance of business and creativity ever since!

What do you like most about teaching?

The music industry is constantly reinventing itself, now more than ever. I love being able to step back from the day-to-day hustle to explore the larger patterns and practices of the industry. I’m constantly surprised and impressed by my students’ eagerness and insight.

What tips do you offer to your students in the classroom?

This program in this city offer the best possible environment for you to experiment with the theories and concepts you learn in class. Produce a show. Release a record. Manage a friend’s band. Collaborate with your fellow students. Ask your teachers for help. Don’t be afraid to try new things and risk failure, you have an amazingly supportive safety net at NYU.

What career tips do you offer to your students?

Don’t wait until senior year to build your network. Reach out to alumni and guest speakers, ask them about their career paths and for advice on yours, and keep in touch with them throughout your education and career. There is no “traditional” career path, and jobs opportunities will present themselves in surprising ways.   Make sure you stay fresh in people’s minds as a proactive and eager talent.

You may also visit Jason Menkes’ faculty bio on the Steinhardt website here (link).

Posted on | This entry was posted in Faculty. Bookmark the permalink.