First Fridays & Final Orals

Greetings from the Office of Graduate Studies!

I wanted to remind you that this month’s First Fridays meeting is coming up on Friday, February 5th at 12:00 p.m. We’re breaking from our usual format to hold a panel discussion on external funding for doctoral students. The panel (consisting of Associate Dean Perry N. Halkitis, Martin McDonough from the Office of Research, and doctoral students Buddy Hampton, Jaclyn Rohel, and Jennifer Uyei) will be talking about identifying and applying for external funding and answering your questions about the process. As always, this is an informal meeting and discussion open to all registered Steinhardt doctoral students. Also as always, lunch will be served! Make sure to RSVP to steinhardt.grad.office@nyu.edu if you haven’t already done so.

I also want to take this opportunity to let you know about the dissertation work your Steinhardt doctoral student colleagues are finishing up this semester. Those of you who have been in the last stages of dissertation writing are well aware that the Spring 2010 “final oral exam season” begins on March 1st. The list of spring final oral exams is posted on our website here: http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/policies_doctoral/dissertation

You can click on a candidate’s name to read the dissertation abstract. If you’re interested in observing a final oral exam, please contact me to make arrangements. This can be a great way to learn more about the process and about the research your colleagues are doing.

You can reach me by email at nancy.hall@nyu.edu or by phone at 212 998-5044. I look forward to hearing from you!