Faculty Spotlight: Patricia Gentile

We recently chatted with new faculty member Patricia Gentile (OTD, ’10), who is joining NYU full-time this year after being a longtime adjunct professor. Professor Gentile shares her background, class agenda, and hopes for the upcoming year at NYU Steinhardt.

Welcome to NYU! Can you tell us a little about your background and what brought you the university?

I was born and raised on the West Side of Manhattan and continue to live there. I obtained my degree in Occupational Therapy at SUNY Downstate. Shortly after starting my first job, I went back to school while working full time to complete my Master’s in Health Administration. I then completed the OT Clinical Doctorate Program at NYU Steinhardt in 2010.

My clinical background is in the area of acute adult physical disabilities and home health care. I have always worked in inner city hospitals serving diverse populations and held various managerial positions in these settings. For the last 10+ years I worked in administrative positions outside of OT, most recently as the Administrator of Surgery at a Level I Trauma Center. My OT background has helped me tremendously in these administrative positions and I would like to see more OT’s assume these types of roles.

I have always been committed to teaching and always made time in my schedule to do this. For as long as I can remember, I have taught as an adjunct OT faculty member, most notably at NYU. I especially enjoy sharing my practical experiences to help students understand the bigger health care system they will be working in, including how to navigate it and advocate for their clients and profession. It is this interest that now brings me to NYU full-time. I am excited to be here.

What classes have you taught in the past, and what are you teaching for the coming semesters? Do you have any particular research interests?

I have taught a variety of classes in my clinical practice area as well as administration and management courses. For a number of years I taught the OT Health Advocacy and Administration Course at NYU. This is my favorite class to teach because it allows me to share my administrative experience, which I believe is important to bring this content to life.  I will continue to teach this course now that I am full time. I will also be teaching in the online Post-Professional Doctor of Occupational Therapy Program. This will be an interesting experience for me since I completed this program before it went to an online platform.

This upcoming fall I will be co-teaching New Student Seminar with Professor Poole and Theoretical Foundations with Professor Hinojosa. There are also plans for me to develop an OT Leadership Course.

Regarding research, two areas of interests I have are performance improvement related to management/supervision, and how social determinants impact health. While working in Trauma, I also became interested of the role of occupational therapy in traumatic injury prevention.

What do you find is the most rewarding aspect of teaching future OT’s?

For me, one of the biggest rewards is their enthusiasm for the profession and the fact that as new therapists they will be starting with a clean slate, and are open to new ideas about what practice can be like.