NYU’s EdD program in Educational Theatre prepares the next generation of arts professionals.
The EdD program is a 42 point program which provides specific pathways for specialized study at the doctoral level in three areas of educational theatre praxis: Drama in Education, Applied Theatre, and Theatre for Young Audiences and Play Production. It is a practice-based doctorate with an emphasis on arts-based research methods.
Why study Educational Theatre at NYU?
Engage with leading educators and practitioners
- Immerse yourself in course work and conduct research with a world-renowned faculty in arts-based methods and practice as research.
- Our global partnerships with leading cultural houses and educational institutions provide unparalleled opportunities for scholarship and practice.
Join our community
- Located in Greenwich Village, the hub of international arts happenings, our program is intimate and supportive within one of the largest and most innovative private research universities in the world.
The Application Deadline for fall 2016 is December 1st.
For More Information, visit:
The Ed.D. in Educational Theatre is designed for individuals who intend to pursue leadership positions in the practicing professions, preparing candidates for senior positions as principals, superintendents, arts administrators, researchers, curriculum developers, policy analysts, educational consultants, and theatre practitioners.
Through a broadly designed and individualized curriculum, students in the Ed.D. in Educational Theatre will develop their artistic praxis and the leadership skills needed to transform today’s learning communities in a variety of educational, cultural, and vocational contexts.
The Ed.D. program emphasizes collaborative and practitioner-based study, providing comprehensive research and artistic training that equips graduates with the knowledge and skills to have significant impact in the worlds of educational theatre, arts policy, and practice.
In particular, students will develop authority in one of three areas of specialization:
• Drama in Education (i.e., studies in drama/theatre curriculum, special education, integrated arts, assessment and evaluation)
• Applied Theatre (i.e., studies in community-based theatre, theatre of the oppressed, the teaching artist, diversity and inclusion)
• Theatre for Young Audiences and Play Production (i.e., studies in acting, directing, dramaturgy, playwriting, dramatic literature, arts-based research methodologies)
As a culminating study, students design and conduct a practitioner-based study under the direction of doctoral program faculty, developing a project drawn from one or more of the program’s specializations (as listed above) and are encouraged to complete their program in five years.
How to Apply
Applications for the Ed.D. in Educational Theatre are accepted from candidates with demonstrated interest in practice-based research. A satisfactorily completed master’s degree is expected prior to application along with a portfolio of work demonstrating arts based research credentials, professional arts experience, and leadership in the field.
For more detail on admissions requirements or to apply, please visit: http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/graduate_admissions/guide/edtc/edd
For further information about the program or its curricula, please contact:
Dr. Jonathan Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org