Inside NYU Steinhardt: Questions for Larry Miller, Music Business Program’s Entrepreneur-in-Residence

Larry Miller is managing director of Miller & Company, a media consultancy that works with music, media and technology companies and their investors on growth strategy.  In addition to his work with the major music companies and their investors, Miller started, built (and sold to Sony), his indie label and music publisher, Or Music, home to Los Lonely Boys, Matisyahu, John Cale, Alejandro Escovedo and Tower of Power.

What is an entrepreneur-in-residence?

In the venture capital world, an Entrepreneur-in-Residence (EIR) is usually a CEO who has built and sold a company and is now leveraging their experience by helping the firm look at new deals, work with founders of companies in the firm’s portfolio, and help them grow faster.   It’s similar at NYU, where the EIR program is a semester-long commitment for me to work with NYU Steinhardt music business majors.

I’m lecturing, coaching, and mentoring students in Professor Radbill’s Entrepreneurship in the Music Industry class.  I’m also here as a resource for students and alumni on research topics, job searches, networking, and anything else that comes up.

How does your experience in the industry help you in the classroom?

In today’s world every music business student is their own startup CEO, and it is essential that they channel their passion and develop agility and the powers of analysis and tenacity in order gain a foothold and succeed. I’ve been pretty fortunate in that I’ve had great opportunities and great mentors.  I’ve run music startups and divisions in major companies, advised financial investors on deals that have changed the landscape, and helped raise money for small and large music and music-technology companies.  I’ve been an investor, too, so I’ve been on both sides of the table.  My perspective has been shaped by all those experiences.  As an EIR I’m able to share with students in a highly structured way and hopefully have a lasting impact.

What are three ideas that you want students to take away from your seminars?

1.  You are in charge of your own career.  Think like an entrepreneur no matter what you do.

2.  Entrepreneurs never stop pitching.

3.  Entrepreneurs will change the world.

Contact Larry Miller at larry.s.miller@nyu.edu

This post appears in the following categories: Faculty, music.