The Doctoral Research Grant competition provides up to $1,500 to support doctoral research toward degree requirements. Doctoral candidates with approved dissertation proposals, UCAIHS clearance (if required) and in good academic standing are invited to apply for the grant to support data collection directly related to their dissertation work. Proposals will be judged on the basis of their scientific merit and feasibility.
Criteria for evaluation
- Significance and potential for advancing the field of study and enhancing the translation of theory to practice
- Well-specified research problem
- Feasibility of the conceptual framework, plan and methodology
- Experience and potential of the project investigator to conduct the proposed research
Eligibility and Restrictions
- All Doctoral candidates with approved dissertation proposals are eligible to apply.
- Awards may not exceed 12 months without prior approval from the Steinhardt Office of Research.
- Students may only receive one internal dissertation support award (either the Steinhardt Doctoral Research Award or Mitchell Leaska Dissertation Award) one time during their studies.
- All awardees must provide the Office of Research with UCAIHS Approval prior to disbursement of funds.
- If awarded, all investigators must provide a one-page mid-year progress report to the Steinhardt Office of Research no later than January 15th and a final progress report no later than July 1st. Additionally, we ask recipients of Challenge Awards to present findings at a Steinhardt research forum.
Doctoral Research Grant Proposal Elements
The proposal must contain the following elements:
- Complete application cover page
- 250 word abstract (will be published if awarded)
- 5-page synopsis of dissertation proposal
- Should not exceed 5 pages (minimum Arial 11 pt font, 1/2" margins, double spaced excluding all pictures, graphs, and tables).
- Dissertation proposal approval signature page
- Current CV (5 page limit)
- Line item budget and budget narrative
- Please list necessary costs. Costs may include such items as travel necessary to the project, fieldwork expenses, participant incentives, software licenses, and supplies. Funding cannot be used for computer equipment. Include a one-page budget justification explaining the purpose of each line item.
- Letter of support and commitment from the student’s mentor indicating willingness to work with the student in the completion of work
- Timeline for completing the dissertation.
- UCAIHS approval (if required).